SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I can do? it is all factory and it is an HU-803 and the static is driving me freaking crazy!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 04 SR AM radio reception sucks (frankhoffy)

Um I don't know about the tint, I bought her used, one owner car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: 04 SR AM radio reception sucks (CM2RAS)

Mine sucks too. I saw a few TNNs from way back that addresses it, putting a copper piece somewhere I think. Do a search and you can probably find it. I have tint (unknown type) and am out of warranty, so I haven't dealt with it yet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 04 SR AM radio reception sucks (Needsdecaf)

Sorry guys new here TNN?

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: 04 SR AM radio reception sucks (CM2RAS)

TNN's are the Technical Notes, that are service advisory bulletins provided to dealers advising them of known issues. There are many of them, that cover things like "rain squeal" to "poor AM reception".

In regard to the AM reception, there is an antenna amplifier that has a TNN issued regarding it. The connector becomes loose, and makes poor contact. The "fix", at least in the Volvo world of quality, is to use a piece of brass shim stock to hold the connector in place. Clearly the right way would be to replace both connectors as required, however that would require the amplifier to be replaced, so you will not get that level of repair from your dealer.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: 04 SR AM radio reception sucks (JoeLvo)

I would try a hobby shop that deals with Radio Control planes, cars, boats, etc. They have copper tubing, round stock, flat stock, etc. I do not think you will find it at such places as Hobby Lobby, but I am not sure.

I would look at the TNN to see just how they have fabricated the "fix". I do not have access to that TNN right now.

Also you need to differentiate between "static" heard when the car is in operation, versus poor reception, even when the engine is off. If it is good when the engine is off, it is probably noise induced by the Pump Control Module, and it's wiring. There is also a TNN for this (ferrite bead). If it is always poor, that most likely the amplifier connection.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Re: 04 SR AM radio reception sucks (rogersampson)

Yeah, mine is always poor. I used aluminum foil instead of Volvo's "copper tape" solution, and it didn't help at all. I'll be looking at buying some copper something, and retry this fix. Funny thing is, there wasn't that much room to fit anything between the connectors, yet the connectors are still too loose to offer good reception. Go figure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The dealership "fixed" mine when it was in for regular service a number of years ago. Reception was pretty much non existant before that - still not great but it can be listenable now. I think they did the shim fix, never really asked for details but he mentioned something about adding a copper piece.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You guys know it's 2009, right??? The A.M broadcast you are listening to are 50+ years old and are just floating around space waiting to be listened to again.

Step into this millenium and try some Sirius or even terrestrial radio (FM)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.