SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'04 s60T AWD parking brake problem/how to repair

I was driving about 25mph parking brake off and I believe it froze somehow, as it ended up completely breaking the system and turning all the parts to dust (not kidding).. I had the parts/dust removed and apparently it scraped up the inside of my rotor. what happened was it acted the same way as a disposal in a sink...

I am wondering how I would go about replacing the parking brake . ( the cable is now not connected to anything at the other end, at all). Is it feasible to go to a junk yard pull the part then replace it myself, or is this something that shouldn't be done without lift etc..?

on a note I don't have any major mechanical equipment besides power drills wrenches a jack and oil pan... ( for the obvious oil change)

if you guys have any advice id love to hear it. I have been looking on the forms for about two years and just never made an account.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Don't get junk yard parts, they will be just as old and worn as yours and ready to detonate. Get new OEM parts.

And consider yourself lucky, often when the ebrake grenades like this the parts flying around can lodge in a way that the wheel locks up. Mine failed this way on my R, fortunately it did it while it was parked...? Still, got stranded and needed a flatbed tow. Only upside for me was the car was still CPO covered at the time.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just saw this, sorry.
I have been looking up other people who have done this repair and can't seem to find many good guides.

I was told by a mechanic I trust that the repair could be something like $600-800 to fix...I know the cable is ok, I have the parts for the mechanism this is where my problems are: I need a new break pad, and the thing holding it ( im pretty sure this is the cheapest part) I may need a new rotor if i can't sand the metal down on mine, there was a metal piece which broke off and was found in the mechanism that I have no clue where it came from I will upload an image of it. <- the part that the mechanic and I couldn't identify is what worried us. It seems like it could have come from another part of the mechanism and found its way into the casing by the rotor.

note I am a poor college student...
. I am happy it didn't lock, but I think I caused more damage by driving to the shop with it.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
If you're short on money, just live without a parking brake until you can afford to repair everything with new parts. It's not like you really need a parking brake with an automatic unless you need to park on steep hills covered in snow/ice...

And it's a "parking brake" because it's for parking. It's not an "emergency brake".

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may just do that, you wouldn't happen to be able to guess what it should cost or how easy it is to repair would you? I live in a hilly area in NJ with snow and ice which is one of my main reasons for wanting the parking brake back. I am sorry for using the wrong terminology, ill correct the title.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
If you don't need a whole new parking brake cable, the parts in/around the drum should be a reasonable cost new, and it should be a fairly simple DIY. (Simple, but not necessarily quick, have a BFH hammer ready to loosen stubborn bits...) A bit of searching on these forums should find you a DIY guide thread, probably in the R forum where you hear about this problem most often.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
If you don't need a whole new parking brake cable, the parts in/around the drum should be a reasonable cost new, and it should be a fairly simple DIY. (Simple, but not necessarily quick, have a BFH hammer ready to loosen stubborn bits...) A bit of searching on these forums should find you a DIY guide thread, probably in the R forum where you hear about this problem most often.
Thats a big IF, I know my cables were in their last legs after 10 years.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thats a big IF, I know my cables were in their last legs after 10 years.
hopefully i dont, though i need to post a picture of the random part that my mechanic and i found. ill upload it shortly. I think that the cables should be fine, at least it should still connect. ill also search up that guide.

this part came from the parking brake section near the rotor.

I have no idea what that part is, or where it came from.... I am worried it may have been important though. Its metal, but light for its look.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That looks a lot like a pretty important part, the block that makes sure the brake pads don't move around when you pull the parking brake on (above the red arrow in the picture below).
If this is missing you're gonna have to replace the hub completely which makes it quite an expensive repair if you go for new parts.

I have done some searches on the interwebs myself because my handbrake wasn't working for a while. And I found out that the brake pads sometimes seperate, the pad part then comes loose from the metal and if it happens while driving pretty much destroys everything inside the disk. There is no way to fix this easily without replacing the hub of which that metal stud is a part.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
oh great.... did you have to replace the entire part? is this something that can be pulled from a junk yard...

its defiantly the part above the arrow..

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think my revised question should be : how does the hub come off and is there a link to the new part/ a diagram. I was just looking on the volvo site and had a hard time picking out the right part to look for.

I am thinking that If i go to a junk yard I may be able to pull it off another car..... I was driving in the snow today, and I realized that if something happened I would be S.O.L , along with parking on hills..

this is what i found, but it doesn't show the hub http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s...889&ukey_driveLine=11324&ukey_trimLevel=11150

·
Registered
392 Posts
The hub would be part of the rear suspension. On the UK Volvo forum, there are discussions of the hub broken lump being replaced with a bent bracket which bolts on. While we have had a parking brake lockup on our '04 XC70, the hub was not broken. I replaced everything with new Volvo OEM parts. I did not look for a source for the bent bracket as we did not require.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hub would be part of the rear suspension. On the UK Volvo forum, there are discussions of the hub broken lump being replaced with a bent bracket which bolts on. While we have had a parking brake lockup on our '04 XC70, the hub was not broken. I replaced everything with new Volvo OEM parts. I did not look for a source for the bent bracket as we did not require.
I am going to call a few dealers then and see if they can send me some information regarding the part #'s and such. to be sure i have everything correct. Then i will attempt to source the parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
281599781476 is a link to UK ebay for the repair part referred to by Bugeye above. When the handbrake stop breaks off this part can replace it and save you a lot of money as you dont have to replace the entire hub

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
281599781476 is a link to UK ebay for the repair part referred to by Bugeye above. When the handbrake stop breaks off this part can replace it and save you a lot of money as you dont have to replace the entire hub
awesome, thank you. so are there prefit holes for it or do they have to be drilled?

Here is the ebay.com link to the same part in USD http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S60-S80-V70-Handbrake-Shoe-Mounting-Bracket-Repair-Kit-00-08-/281599781476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4190a7aa64

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.