SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got this 2004 S60R and driving it home I give it a good amount of gas to merge onto the highway and the windshield wipers start spraying and wont stop... (wipers dont go, just the spray) kinda dangerous as I couldn't see and had to run the wipers. I think it kept going till it ran out of fluid. Now I refilled it and it wont work, I am assuming it burned out from running constantly.

I contacted the P.O. thinking maybe they hooked up an IC Sprayer or something like that, but he said he has never had that happen before....

I have ordered a new pump, but I don't want to throw it in yet if that is going to happen again. Any thoughts on why that would happen on heavy accel?

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
A short in the circuit? I wouldn't think it would be related to heavy throttle, except if an increase in vibration caused something. That's a weird one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Or water injection. Check under the plastic cover next to the air filter and fuse box. Or stick your head under the passenger front corner and see if there is a line coming out of the water tank.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Is using the window spray system a common implementation of a water/meth system...? I'd be more inclined to think that a relay failed on you.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I'd more suspect something funky was going on in the stalk/switch, causing the acceleration to trigger it. Flick that puppy around a bit just in the hopes it puts all the little contacts to where they belong.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is using the window spray system a common implementation of a water/meth system...? I'd be more inclined to think that a relay failed on you.
Ya pretty common. You go through a lot of water if you don't have it switched though. I would get the low fluid warning in a week or 2.

I'm not really convinced it's a water inj. system either. Could be that someone did something wrong to disable the system correctly when selling though. The pump turns on at a set boost lvl, so maybe when he hit that, it turned it on.

ok, Ill look. What would be the point of that?
Point of water injection? Basically cools things down in the cylinders to cut down on detonation, which means more aggressive timing can be used, or in a stock setting, timing is not taken out. It also steam cleans the cylinder!

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Failed relays usually don't randomly activate on their own, and a blown fuse would keep it from working all together. My educated guess is something is wrong in the switch.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I checked the fuses and #15 (15 amp for wipers) was blown, replaced it and as soon as I turned on the car the sprayers went on and the stopped. Checked fuse and it was blown again... Even more confused now.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Based on this additional info here is my new theory. You might have a failed sprayer motor that has fused the switch/relay closed and then blown the fuse. Now when you put a fuse back in, the process repeats.

Had something similar happen with the running lights on a friends car after she got hit and it shorted the light assembly. Once the light was fixed it was stuck on because the relay was fused close.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
No reason to be more confused. That makes perfect sense with what you experienced. Something caused the sprayer to run until it blew the fuse. You changed nothing. When you replaced the fuse, you experienced the very same result. As Stealthy said, it's very likely associated with the switch. It sounds like the switch has shorted (at least the circuit is shorted somewhere). The switch is the most obvious place to start. Get a multi meter so you can test the state of the switch.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
PS - For a quick way of testing, horn relay is the same so you can swap them to see if that gets rid of the immediate spray when the fuse is replaced. If the relay is fused, sometimes a good whack will open them up again, saving you from buying a new one.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So looks like it is the relay. Had a buddy hook up a scanner (advanced scanner) and I got a code "CEM-8F2B Windshield washer motor, relay"

On to replace that! Glad to know its not the switch!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I replaced the relay and it still sprays uncontrollably, even with the key off... Can anyone tell me which port on the relay is the switched line so I can test that?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts