SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just replaced my throttle pedal with the built in position sensor because i had a reduced engine performance message pop up and that is what the scan tool said was wrong. Now that i replaced it is there a way to calibrate it because it still didn't fix my problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had my Brake Pedal Position Sensor go out at the same time as my MAF. The result was a car that would start, suddenly not want to run at all to the point of barely being drivable, then suddenly run and drive fine. Interestingly, I got no engine light.
Also that stupid sensor was not cheap.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Every time this happens it's the cause of a faulty etm. You undoubtedly need a new etm. It's the signals the etm sends to the sensor that causes the error. I have replaced at least 3 in these caRs due to this error message and it has solved it every time.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Even with the Bosch ETM instead of the Magnetti?
Yes sir. Just got done putting one in my buddys 04 R.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Yep. I had reduced engine performance and ECM-91B7 last week. ETM failed at 289k miles. Pretty good I'd say. Replaced it with a 2003 XC70 one manufactured in 2009 from a junkyard. Probably only has 40k on it.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Is the car idling weird? Will it not got above 3k RPM?

You can buy a new Bosch ETM or you can buy a used on off of eBay/your local salvage yard. Just check the date code to get the newest manufactured one if you buy a used one. And even if you buy a new one it doesn't need programming because it is technically an ETA not an ETM.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I would buy a used one as it will save you a whole lot of money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay guys i just went out and tried to rev it up with the brake pedal depressed and it will not rev out at all like some other people have said, not sure if that matters or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay guys, here is the latest update. I bought a used ETA from a member on here and it is still doing the same thing. As far as i know it doesn't need to be reprogrammed does it? The cheap scan tool i have here at my house is reading P2121 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch "D" circuit range/performance. I'm not sure if that helps but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I am pulling my hair out at this point.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sluggish, lazy revving, limp mode, and (critically) no revving at all with the brake pedal depressed were my exact symptoms. Despite a spurious ECM-9520 (throttle position sensor) message, I replaced the brake pedal position sensor in the brake booster and have since had no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts