SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the previous owner of my 2004 Volvo S60R straight piped the exhaust (no cat, no muffler, no resonator). It sounds ok... but is way to loud for city driving. I still want the awesome sounds on heavy accel, but it is way to loud on medium and low accel.

Looking for suggestions on some weld in/bolt in options such as a magnaflow muffler or something. Anyone have experience with this or suggestions on what to add to quit it a bit?

Would like to stay below $200, unless you guys think its really worth it to go to an exhaust system. Looking for any input on this.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Use the OEM resonator and a vibrant performance cat. My car has just those two, and sounds amazing. If you can deal with the noise, you don't need the cat (it's loud, but sounds sooooo good)

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
If you do a search for DIY custom R exhausts, you'll find that many people have used separate exhaust bits to cobble together nice systems. Having not done it, I don't know what the preferred units are, but Borla is a name that typically comes up as a go-to.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My 04 has no resonator but stock muffler and I think it sounds great. A low snarl, loud enough that you know it's not stock, but not loud enough to annoy the neighbors or the HOA. Maybe you can pickup a factory muffler from a part-out or a salvage yard? I do have a 3" downpipe contributing to the noise too though.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
So it has an aftermarket downpipe with no cat and then a custom straight section? If its an OBX catless downpipe or something that will bolt up to the stock exhaust (not a custom dp or something) and you wanna do it cheap, I would buy a stock R exhaust and cut the resonator out, keep the muffler and bolt it up. You can probably get an R exhaust for basically nothing. Or buy a IPD oval tube exhaust :)

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
LOVE THAT SOUND!!! So that was a Borla XR-1 with a straight pipe? So pretty much just weld in a muffler to mine
OBX 3'' downpipe to straight pipe to Borla XR-1. I dont know where to find an OBX downpipe for the R. Maybe someone on the forum can point you in the right direction. Every other downpipe I've seen on the market is $500+

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy god, that thing must be louder than balls. ...Got any videos? :D
Went out and made a quick video of the exhaust. I don't think the video really captures how loud it is inside the cabin (w/windows up). Sorry its so long, didn't really edit it down much. Ill try and get a drive by of the sound too.

Here is the video:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Went out and made a quick video of the exhaust. I don't think the video really captures how loud it is inside the cabin (w/windows up). Sorry its so long, didn't really edit it down much. Ill try and get a drive by of the sound too.
Sounds good, but you can definitely tell that it would generate a lot of drone in the cabin.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've got a 3" catless down pipe, 2.75" from the flange back, no resonator, and some Magnaflow muffler, completely tolerable windows up or down, no drone.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Everyone always recommends getting rid of the resonator and keeping the muffler. Try it the other way around, you may be pleased

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a 3" catless down pipe, 2.75" from the flange back, no resonator, and some Magnaflow muffler, completely tolerable windows up or down, no drone.
What brand of downpipe? I've tried finding the OBX for the R but have been unsucessful. Any ideas on somewhat affordable, quality 3'' downpipes?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The resonator is nothing more than another muffler in the system to bring down the sound so if that's all you are running it is your muffler, lol.
Are you sure? I was under the impression they were designed differently-- to change pitch instead of volume.

EDIT:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-mufflers-and-resonators-whats-the-difference.html

Not sure how that ranks as a source, but that's along the lines of what I understood the difference to be.

The purpose of a resonator is to cancel out a certain range of sound frequencies.
Note that nowhere does it say that a resonator lessens sound. It only eliminates certain frequencies. If you have a resonator that only cancels out songs by Cher, that’s great. The bad news is Madonna will still be as loud as ever.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My 04 has no resonator but stock muffler and I think it sounds great. A low snarl, loud enough that you know it's not stock, but not loud enough to annoy the neighbors or the HOA. Maybe you can pickup a factory muffler from a part-out or a salvage yard? I do have a 3" downpipe contributing to the noise too though.
I had that for a little while. Though noticeable, it was too raspy for my taste and thus I ordered the EST exhaust.

Holy god, that thing must be louder than balls. ...Got any videos? :D
Try running an open downpipe and you'll know what loud really is! I was for 3 days when I was transitioning between exhausts and I was waking the dead in their graves! Apologized to my neighbors for the morning cold starts, balanced the throttle continuously to keep the noise low, interior was shaking like no tomorrow, music didn't help drown it out, didn't drive at night, and just looked straight as people would stare into the car to find the jackass behind all the nonsense!

One time however I pegged it after getting thumbs up from several young guys in a car as the they drove beside...they went ape s**t when I backfired at the 2-3 up shift :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts