SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals!

New to Volvo, not new to forums LOL

Bought my R from a fellow member here about 6 months ago, http://forums.swedespeed.com/search.php?searchid=5573433

I LOVE it!

Been chasing a head scratcher though and I have reached the point where I am reaching,... out for assistance/ideas/ something I am missing LOL

Every once in awhile, there is no set time, mileage or anything to nail down a specific cause for a periodic P0134 I keep getting. Pulled it up in VIDA and it reads it out as ECM-280A Ho2s which indicates the rear 02 is disabled... now this could be for a number of reasons. Poor connection on the front 02 somewhere ( did a visual on the harness when I put the new one in and it looked real good), possible exhaust leak ( checked this but I am going to again ), possible intake/vacuum leak somewhere. VIDA does suggest checking for a short and I did read somewhere,. I think it was on here that a bad/failing rear 02 CAN trigger the ECM into seeing a fault in the front sensor circuit. This makes the most sense to me since I did not replace the rear ( flame on, not trying to be cheap just do one part at a time to make diagnosis easier) at the time when I replaced the front.

I had not gotten the P0134 until I let my brother driver it one night,. he has a nasty 850 T5 wagon that is a scorcher. It threw the code that night and that is when I did the vacuum lines, CCV, MAF, front 02 and Forge CBV.

Here are the new parts I have put on it since I got it.

Forge CBV
IpD oval tube cat back exhaust
Front 02 from IpD
MAF from IpD
Snabb eBay turbo intake tube ( the knock off )
All silicon vacuum lines new from IPD including the ones off the TCV
Did the entire crankcase breather with silicon lines as well
Volvo OE spark plugs

MODS prior to me buying
JWZ stage 3 tune
IpD HD coil packs
K&N air filter
IpD HD TCV
UUC lightweight f/w
OBX catless DP
Rear o2 90 angle fitting

Car is '04 M66

Here are some screen shots of basic OBD data I captured:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Didn't know there was a Snabb intake knockoff on ebay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Didn't know there was a Snabb intake knockoff on ebay

WAS, I got it from the PO and I at one time managed to find an old listing for it that's no longer around..

I just did a search on my phone for " Volvo intake S60R". Blue silicon ends w/aluminum center. Looks just like the Snabb w/o the name on it

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Interesting but as far as the code goes I wonder if the tune is the reason. Maybe JZW programmed for a rear o2 delete but then I don't know why the code would appear

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting but as far as the code goes I wonder if the tune is the reason. Maybe JZW programmed for a rear o2 delete but then I don't know why the code would appear

I wondered the same thing. All the data looks good *scratching head*

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All right bringing this back up. Replaced rear O2 with the correct one per chassis number , per VIDA. Bought it from IPd took a month to get it.
Also replaced the angle simulator as I had small signs the old one was leaking.

Drove about 200 miles, code came back.

Cam across some reading indicating that the angle simulator pulls the rear sensor too far out of the stream if you have the race OBX dp that has the angled bung, which I have. Could I be getting this lean code b/c the rear o2 just isn't reading any gasses at all?

Thinking about putting the rear o2 right in the pipe and seeing what happens.

Also considering sending my injectors out for ultrasonic cleaning and leak testing?

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, this problem popped up after I took the modified stock exhaust off and put the iPd oval tube cat back on. That definitely increased the flow across the precat o2 which I'm wondering if that's why I keep getting this code since this one generates when you have too much variance between the front and rear

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Rear o2 is for cat efficiency not AFR. If you're getting a lean code that's the front o2 sensor giving it.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Yeah, the rear O2 is all about final fuel trim for maintaining O2 balance in the cat and checking its efficiency. I concur with hounddogger this may have more to do with your front WBO2 sensor being on its way out and throwing the fuel trim off enough to have the car think its the second sensor going out on you.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Car has 110k on it rear has less than 500 miles on it, front less than 3,000

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's the front, then that would mean I have an air leak somewhere upstream then. Where should I be looking?

PS just replaced all vac lines with silicon.
Have new maf same miles as front o2.

Do these multiple segmented turbo inlets have problems leaking? Wondering because IPd doesn't sell any that are segmented...

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
You need to scan it with VIDA. That will give you all of the codes. It's possible the car is running lean...

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If both sensors are relatively new, I'd recommend cleaning and resetting the connectors. WD40 and some compressed air does a good job on any corrosion and crap that might be causing issues.

Could be the hardware is all good but its their connection causing issues. Rule that out early before you try digging any deeper.

Also, is the turbo to down pipe gasket looking good. Its not unusual for leaks to pop up there which would allow air to be pulsed in and throw off the readings. Other exhaust gaskets, like head to manifold can blow out too. Can you hear exhaust pulses if you put your ear towards the back of the engine compartment for example?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If both sensors are relatively new, I'd recommend cleaning and resetting the connectors. WD40 and some compressed air does a good job on any corrosion and crap that might be causing issues.

Could be the hardware is all good but its their connection causing issues. Rule that out early before you try digging any deeper.

Also, is the turbo to down pipe gasket looking good. Its not unusual for leaks to pop up there which would allow air to be pulsed in and throw off the readings. Other exhaust gaskets, like head to manifold can blow out too. Can you hear exhaust pulses if you put your ear towards the back of the engine compartment for example?
I'll do all you suggested and report back. I wouldn't be surprised on gadkets

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Higher boost levels sure can add to the possibility of exhaust leaks too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts