SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my 2004 Volvo S60R (auto) the previous owner mentioned that the oil dipstick would shoot out and get oil all over the engine when you go heavy on the throttle. I thought I knew right away that it was the PCV valve so I didn't think anything of it when he said it was loose. Got the car, did a lot of work including the PCV Valve. The car passes the glove test and has had no issues, but when I floored it the other day I noticed that the dipstick was out and there was oil all over the engine.

So now my thoughts are maybe it is loose... I am afraid to try to tighten it though because if there is a pressure issue I would rather it blow out there than somewhere more critical...

Thoughts?

Could I have missed something in the PCV replacement?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
O ring or just buy a dipstick off of eBay for $15. Also there's a lot more to the pcv than one valve so I bet that's is still your issue.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The rubber gaskets on the dipstick do need replacing eventually as they shrink. On mine, it would pop out, but I would never get oil all over the place. I replaced the gaskets (there's a cheap source for these, searching might bring it up) and have had no issues since. You can try this, but oil probably shouldn't be spraying out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah there is a small amount on the engine, but it is defiantly spraying out (under heavy load) wont do it at idle or mild accel.

If it passes the glove test shouldn't the PCV be ok?

Is the S60 dipstick the same as the S60Rs?

·
Registered
392 Posts
The PCV system operates slightly differently if at idle or when under boost loaded. If the glove test at idle doesn't inflate the glove, also try with the transmission in gear, foot on the brake, no one in front of the car and apply throttle to about 2000 rpm. If the glove now inflates, you have positive crankcase pressure and the PCV system needs attention.

At idle, the crankcase pressure is drawn into the intake manifold. Under boost load, the crankcase is vented to the turbo inlet through the $200 hose.

Did you replace the check valve at the underside of the intake manifold at the banjo fitting?

Did you verify the $200 hose is clear to the turbo inlet. Is the fitting at the turbo inlet clear?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, Ill try that at different engine speeds.

I did not replace the $200 hose, but it ran clear (mineral spirits came out clear after a while, air/fluid go through the hoses fine)

I did not replace the check valve, just cleaned it. Is that a critical part that could cause failure? Seems like that would be cheap to replace... anyone know where to get one.

Fitting at turbo is clear. $200 hose is clear.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Fcp has that banjo valve.It now doen't not have the check-ball in it.A revision on that valve I was told.And Bugeye is corrct btw.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If the glove test at idle doesn't inflate the glove, also try with the transmission in gear, foot on the brake, no one in front of the car and apply throttle to about 2000 rpm.
What if it's MT instead of GT?

·
Registered
392 Posts
If a manual, the test is slightly different during boost conditions. I have a long tube i place into the dip stick tube, dip stick removed of course. The tube fits snug. I run this tube into the car and attach to a low pressure differential gauge. It measures in inches of water pressure, basically a mechanical water tube manometer. I have read a latex glove could be added to the tube end instead of the gauge. Then take the care for a ride and get the engine into boost. As the intake manifold transitions from negative pressure to positive, the glove shape (crankcase pressure) may change.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I had a 2004 S60R that did not have positive crankcase pressure at idle, however with medium to heavy acceleration dipstick would pop out. Engine had 125k. I took the oil separator out and the oil trap was clear but where the oil drains back into the block to the oil pan was about 95% clogged. Luckily it was only clogged right at the entrance to the block and I was able to clean out and the oil passage into the pan was clear (could hear bubbling when blowing air into oil pan. Also pulled the check valve and cleaned the small vacuum tube that attached to the $200 hose. So just one part of the system having a slight issue can cause other issues.

Another issue that can cause this is too much blow-by from the piston rings. If I remember correctly you had pretty low compression in your engine when you had the injector issue, so you may just have worn rings causing high crankcase pressure under heavy boost. You may focus on pcv but also your compression.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Compression tests need to be done a very specific way to be done correctly

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It was not hard to clean for me. I used a 90 degree Matco pick and gently inserted and pulled outward so all the carbon buildup came OUT and did not go IN. You also need to make sure that the drain passage into the oil pan is clear.

110 is a little low. 140-160 is what I would consider "good"

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The first thing I thought of when reading through this was a bad compression ring allowing excessive blow-by under boost.

Used to see it all the time when I was racing Chrysler turbos back in the day. Only ever had one B21FT do it (and it had 200k on it)

I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Same thing was happening to my V70R auto right after I bought it. The glove test passed which I thought was awesome. I replaced the two black o rings at the top of the dip stick, and now when I pull the dip stick I actually have to tug on it more than I did before. When re-installing the dip stick it pops into place and is snug.

Don't over analyze it, this is a common problem and a 2 cent fix at that!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same thing was happening to my V70R auto right after I bought it. The glove test passed which I thought was awesome. I replaced the two black o rings at the top of the dip stick, and now when I pull the dip stick I actually have to tug on it more than I did before. When re-installing the dip stick it pops into place and is snug.

Don't over analyze it, this is a common problem and a 2 cent fix at that!
Which O rings did you use and where did you get them?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts