SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PCV system is clogged on my 04 S60R auto with only 84k miles. I get paid this friday and I desperately need to do 2 things: get a new set of front tires, and replace the oil PCV system (minus the long hose running back to the turbo, which I will clean instead.) I took it to the mechanic and he ran a bunch of tests (including compression and gas) and diagnosed it as a faulty/clogged oil separator. Good thing is, the engine is great, outside of the oil separator. I'll be ordering the parts Friday, but I'm concerned I will not have the time to fix it before my holiday trips. I'll be doing 2 trips, 1 week apart, and 400 miles round-trip each time. If it comes down to it, if I vent the system somehow, theoretically I should be safe to make these trips, right? I'm thinking I can pull the dipstick and replacing with some sort of plug with a small hole to minimize oil loss while venting the pressure?

It's either that, or I just take the risk and drive easy. The car has no signs of PCV failure outside of positive pressure via the glove test. Very very little smoke coming from dipstick tube (when dipstick is pulled), but the dipstick hasn't popped at all. There's no oil under the valve cover, and not a single drop of oil under the car. Likewise, all hoses appear to be intact. I'm assuming it's just a partially clogged oil separator that still allows the pressure to vent, but just barely. What's my best bet, assuming I can't fix it in time? Makeshift vent the system, or take the trips, drive easy, and replace system asap?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Rent a car for your holiday trips. Get one with unlimited mileage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rent a car for your holiday trips. Get one with unlimited mileage.
I'm 24, so that's doable, but expensive. Cheapest I can get for a small economy car for the weekend is ~$140. That would be atleast $250 in 2 weekends. While I understand that's less than replacing a cam seal, or other seals, it's not affordable as is. I will do my best to order all necessary parts friday and have them expedited to me to arrive before the 20th. I'll just suck it up and bike to work 1 day if I need to.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Before PCV systems existed, the crankcase was just vented to the atmosphere. You will be polluting more (also, breaking the law...) and potentially getting oil all over stuff though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before PCV systems existed, the crankcase was just vented to the atmosphere. You will be polluting more (also, breaking the law...) and potentially getting oil all over stuff though.
Understanding that I'm breaking the law for 800 miles, it's still better than breaking my engine? Not like anyone's gonna realize what I'm doing unless I have emissions tested...Regardless, I've opted to replace the system before my trips. I'll have a free weekend and I plan on expediting the parts and having my aeronautical engineer buddy helping me out and supplying the tools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts