SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to check and see if lower control arm bushings are going bad? When I drive the car I can feel it pull slightly to the right when I accelerate and back to the left when I lift the throttle. It has 96k miles and has the auto trans, the angle gear and everything else is fine.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Have you recently had your alignment checked?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Usually alignments are done stationary, so without acceleration / load to the suspension, so it will not be an accurate reading, and even if you realign it with a bad bushing. It's not going to solve the problem. I would recommend lifting the car on a hoist and doing a visual bushing inspection, any hairline cracks in the bushing is an indication to replace. If your car at 96k has not done any bushing replacements, it's likely time to. Volvo bushings are made from soft recycled rubber, and not made to last.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
if they look like this :D

those are my original bushings on my 05

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i had the exact same problem and took it to a volvo dealer and they checked the alignment and said nothing was wrong. since i said the car was pulling to the right they said the tech set it one degree to the left. now the steering wheel is off center and i still have the problem. i looked at my LCA bushings the other day, you can see them with the car on the ground if you stick your head under the front bumper, and i could see a crack in them. now i think this is my problem.

·
Registered
919 Posts
i had the exact same problem and took it to a volvo dealer and they checked the alignment and said nothing was wrong. since i said the car was pulling to the right they said the tech set it one degree to the left. now the steering wheel is off center and i still have the problem. i looked at my LCA bushings the other day, you can see them with the car on the ground if you stick your head under the front bumper, and i could see a crack in them. now i think this is my problem.
wow, dealers continue to amaze. if they would intentionally align car "blindly" by a degree to the left (without understanding why) theyre idiots. not even addressing the fact that they should have checked the lca bushings before doing an alignment. its more $$ for them, no reason NOT to except stupidity.

·
Registered
557 Posts
What is the easiest way to check and see if lower control arm bushings are going bad?
I'm just going through this issue now...
Getting new bushings shortly.
As per the picture, but you can also jack up your car and lever a prybar between the subframe and control arm to check for excessive movement.
Here's a vid:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
What is the easiest way to check and see if lower control arm bushings are going bad? When I drive the car I can feel it pull slightly to the right when I accelerate and back to the left when I lift the throttle. It has 96k miles and has the auto trans, the angle gear and everything else is fine.
Haha when you install new tires and your car shakes in that section....or when you're on the highway driving behind Giorgi trying to keep up but you can barely keep control because the wheel is loose and suspension is shot.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
wow, dealers continue to amaze. if they would intentionally align car "blindly" by a degree to the left (without understanding why) theyre idiots. not even addressing the fact that they should have checked the lca bushings before doing an alignment. its more $$ for them, no reason NOT to except stupidity.
i specifically asked them if they looked at all the other components that could have been causing the issue too. they assured me that they did and everything was fine. i will now be doing this project myself instead of giving them my business!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
looks like mine are ready to get replaced :) add that to the never-ending list. :(

·
Registered
942 Posts
The stock rubber lower Control arm bushings don't last very long; worn out bushings throw off the whole suspension.

PowerFlex are a good replacement, they last much longer and improve the handling noticeably.
They are a PITA to install, but are well worth it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The stock rubber lower Control arm bushings don't last very long; worn out bushings throw off the whole suspension.

PowerFlex are a good replacement, they last much longer and improve the handling noticeably.
They are a PITA to install, but are well worth it.
i take it you have done this install? why was it a PITA and what tools did you use?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just replaced mine.
Of note, if replacing ball joints as well and ordering from FCP Groton, make sure you order / they send you 2 ball joints. They will send you just 1....believe me....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Go stock bushings! You won't even notice any performance gain with powerflex bushings. They also wear out quicker than stock. With a car with so much suspension travel you can't go stiffer bushings everywere. Especially not in the control arms.

Well try it, you will regret it when you have to change them. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts