SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was changing out one of my lowbeam halogen H7 headlight bulbs that had burned out like I've done a million times before no problem and when I went to turn on power to check it I all of a sudden had no headlights. My highbeams work fine and corner signal lights work fine, just the lowbeams not working. I checked all the fuses and everything looks good which makes me believe it's a short or something in the wiring. Im not very good wi th electrical and don't know where to start or where to look. Anyone have any ideas for what wires I can look at to test I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would first check the H7 socket that plugs into the bulb... After heat and time, it can become brittle and thus cause a bad connection... I had that happen on my '01 S40 I used to have, and I replaced them with heavy duty ceramic sockets. Also check the connections of the power harness that plugs into the headlight housings which provides the power for the high/low beams as well as the turn signals. Just for kicks, try replacing the low beam fuse if you have any of that rating on hand. Good luck!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll look at that stuff and let you know what I find. I know that I'll probably need new bulb connectors for the H7 bulbs, found that they are cracked and falling apart but wires still are in tact.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Super easy fix!! It's the socket that the bulbs plug into. I had the same issue. Bought some generic sockets at AutoZone for a few measly dollars. Cut the wires, removed the old sockets, spliced the new ones on, and haven't had a bulb go out in two years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts