SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I was removing my air filter tonight to give it a clean, when I looked down where the silicone elbow that meets with the mass airflow sensor and the start of the aluminum pipe and noticed the aluminum was warped and indented like it had started melting. I have an intake temp gauge and I've never seen it get crazy hot like that where it would start to melt aluminum. Anybody have any ideas what may be the reason this happened? I'd like to figure out why it did that to prevent further damage to the pipe. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Aluminum melts at1,221°F..so you are really dillusional thinking you have anywhere near those temps anywhere in a vehicle.. G et a grip..
That's the temperature at which pure aluminum actually turns into a liquid. Aluminum is quite ductile and will begin to deform well before its melting point. Just checked on McMaster Carr, and aluminum tubing is generally rated for up to 300°F. I would imagine this rating is lower or at least not for long periods of time. Furthermore, this rating could be even lower if Snabb (and I'm not trying to bad mouth them, they seem to be a great company, I have their TCV) or the company they buy tubing from did not pay the extra money for certified material. This sort of stuff is actually guaranteed to have specific properties and comes with a piece of paper showing the material testing results, etc. However that certification costs a lot of extra money so most people don't go for that option which is okay, you just over-engineer and design for the operating parameters.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey guys, so I was removing my air filter tonight to give it a clean, when I looked down where the silicone elbow that meets with the mass airflow sensor and the start of the aluminum pipe and noticed the aluminum was warped and indented like it had started melting. I have an intake temp gauge and I've never seen it get crazy hot like that where it would start to melt aluminum. Anybody have any ideas what may be the reason this happened? I'd like to figure out why it did that to prevent further damage to the pipe. Thanks guys!
OP, did you happen to dent it during install? Also, how secure is the intake tubing - is it loose enough to shake around and maybe whack itself on the engine block or something else? Your intake air gauge might not be the best indicator depending on where the sensor is mounted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My intake pipe is mounted solid. But I think I figured out what caused it. The little hose bracket thst bolts to the block to the left of it broke and was hitting it, so possibly when the pipe was hot and the constant pressure of that bracket over time must have indented it. I think the IPD all silicone intake system is a much better design and I'm gonna try that one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My intake pipe is mounted solid. But I think I figured out what caused it. The little hose bracket thst bolts to the block to the left of it broke and was hitting it, so possibly when the pipe was hot and the constant pressure of that bracket over time must have indented it. I think the IPD all silicone intake system is a much better design and I'm gonna try that one.
I think both systems are virtually identical in terms of performance, you should just try and get a hose clamp or two to make the mounting more solid. I mean, if you want to spend the money for a new pipe go ahead but I don't think that little dent will have much of an affect on performance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think both systems are virtually identical in terms of performance, you should just try and get a hose clamp or two to make the mounting more solid. I mean, if you want to spend the money for a new pipe go ahead but I don't think that little dent will have much of an affect on performance.
I'm not worried about performance loss but I don't want it to get worse. I'm gonna see if I can chang it up a little so it is more solid where the air filter is cause im running a cone filter with a heat shield and it definitely could be mounted better to that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts