SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a set of projector HIDs from an 04 sitting around. Finally sourced the appropriate wiring harness. Known good ballast and bulb.

Xenon bulb will ignite but shut off after a few seconds. Tried it on both passenger and drivers side. My 06 came stock with halogen.

Other than trying a different bulb and ballast is there anything else I should check? The halogen lights work fine.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My guess is that, because your car came stock with halogen lights, the car is supplying a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to drive the headlights, which works for halogen bulbs, but will typically not work with an HID ballast. At the very least you will probably require a capacitor between the harness and the ballast in order to smooth out the PWM signal. You can try splicing in a "Canbus canceller" or "bulb out warning canceller", but you still may end up with flickering, which can kill a ballast. You may be able to get a software update from the dealer to switch your S60 to an HID software configuration so that it will provide the correct signal to the HID headlights, but I am not 100% sure that is possible. I suggest doing some more research on HID retrofits. You may have more luck asking this question in the standard S60/V70 forum.

·
3,918 Posts
I'm sure it has to do with Draw, Software and the actual connections themselves. Other than that I can't see why it won't work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts