SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting here because this sub forum gets more traffic.

I have an 01 that came with the HU-613. I currently have an HU-803 from MY04 along with the PA-300 installed and operating. It sounds great and everything works with the exception of the HU backlighting and the steering wheel controls. I have searched and read a lot of the past threads concerning this but have not found any information stating that an 803 from an 04 can be set up with a software DL from the dealer to work in 01-03 vehicles. Is an 04 incompatible with 01-03 vehicles? Can I source an 803 from an 01-03 and not run into the same issues?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Posting here because this sub forum gets more traffic.

I have an 01 that came with the HU-613. I currently have an HU-803 from MY04 along with the PA-300 installed and operating. It sounds great and everything works with the exception of the HU backlighting and the steering wheel controls. I have searched and read a lot of the past threads concerning this but have not found any information stating that an 803 from an 04 can be set up with a software DL from the dealer to work in 01-03 vehicles. Is an 04 incompatible with 01-03 vehicles? Can I source an 803 from an 01-03 and not run into the same issues?
I did the same swap in an 04 and it all worked, but the donor HU was from the same model year.

I've seen a few other 803 swaps over the years in various threads claim that they retained steering wheel controls, but given that most people try to match the dash trim color, it is possible that you are the first to put a 04 into an 01-03, and that they all just got lucky.

Are you sure the 803-HU you got is fully functional?

The bonus of an 01-03 unit is that it will match your lighter grey dash trim.

Maybe someone local would be nice enough to let you test swap for verification?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually going to update to the darker 04 trim if I was able to get the HU working properly. I know that swapping from the same model year or same trim color works without issue, it's swapping from 01-03 to 04 that I am unsure about. I read in the HU sticky in the audio forum that the no lights/steering wheel control issue would happen but there is conflicting info concerning a software update fixing it.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I was actually going to update to the darker 04 trim if I was able to get the HU working properly. I know that swapping from the same model year or same trim color works without issue, it's swapping from 01-03 to 04 that I am unsure about. I read in the HU sticky in the audio forum that the no lights/steering wheel control issue would happen but there is conflicting info concerning a software update fixing it.
I have the Volvo "no radio" update loaded into my car (via Vadis at dealer), from back in the days when I was using aftermarket head units. It basically stops the canbus querying/polling/logging for the stereo, but still transmits the steering and dimmer messages. I know that for sure because they still work on my car, even with the code and a different HU.

But, I guess the million dollar question is whether there is anything else that causes a block on 01-03 with a 04 HU.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
There is software you need to install
Your car never had an 803 so it doesn't really recognize it and certain things at times don't work, in your case the wheel controls.

I just upgraded to an 850 from a 650, in my 97, added the radio, amp and a subwoofer and while everything worked, the sound was friggen AWFUL.
After software it's playing like it should, terrific!
This is cheap upgrade software, my dealer charged me $18 each for two of them and $21 for the 3rd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts