SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Searched the forums and have some more ideas, but nothing I found describes exactly what I have.

04' VR, ran fine up to this morning when I tried to go to work and it wouldn't start. Still wouldn't start when I got home. Car ran fine before and it isn't even that cold out right now! No misfires, stalling, hesitation etc.

No codes in VIDA.

Temperature sensors read as expected. Cam position sensor values shift around as I would expect.

Fuel pressure looks wonky- VIDA says 90KPa, should be 300-400. Weird thing is mechanical gauge on fuel rail shows zero which was verified by me manually depressing the valve and not getting hosed with fuel.

swapped fuel pump relay with fog light- not the relay.

I have no pulled plugs and verified spark yet as it seems to me to be a fuel issue.

What next? Fuel pump? Could the fuel pressure regulator be suspect? I may throw a fuel filter at it too since it hasn't been changed in a while.

Your thoughts and expertise are appreciated!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
sounds like the pump. I would pull it and supply 12v to it and see it it runs. I believe there is a fuel pump test in VIDA as well.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
sounds like the pump. I would pull it and supply 12v to it and see it it runs. I believe there is a fuel pump test in VIDA as well.
Fuel pump test ironically requires the engine to run...

Look at your fuel pump duty cycle... it might show up. I'd buy a pump if you aren't getting pressure at the rail. It could be the PEM...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! Didn't have time to get to the back of the car last night but will tonight. I listened for the pump and I could hear it running last night though- but looking at the schematics there are two pumps so it would be hard to hear if both were working. Will test for power tonight and probably try jumpering 12V to the terminals as well to see if the pump is running or it is the controller.

The pump duty cycle is in VIDA- I remember looking at it but not registering that it was concerning... Will look again.

Will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: now I am really confused.

Left work a bit early. The following have me scratching my head- but I think I am looking at a fuel pump control module.

Jumper 12V directly to pump- pump runs fine and fuel rail pressure about 86psi. Pump isn't noisy or ill sounding- seems normal.

Multi-meter on the power plug from the pump control module and it shows 0v. When I put the key to position 2 it jumps to 12v for a few seconds (maybe 3) and then drops to zero.

Plug pump back in and watch fuel pressure as I turn the key to position 2 and it doesn't move from zero.

So- I think the control module is bad and can't drive the pump. Thoughts? Those suckers are expensive! I will have a look in VIDA later to see if I can see anything strange, but if the computer doesn't register a code and I don't have any fuel pressure and the fuel pump works fine then the only thing in the chain that must be non-functional is the pump control module- right?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'd go with a PEM and maybe have a pressure sensor on hand just in case. Shoot Nick @ Re-Volv a call in the morning. He will have used PEMs at a good price as well as good pressure sensors.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update- it was the PEM. New refurb from Xemodex plugged in and everything is happy. I did relocate it to the trunk- much better location than in a salt spray... The old one did not look good from the outside- so if the seals failed it would be in bad shape inside.

Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts