SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the What did you do to your car today thread and it inspired me to take apart my center console and make a write up out of it for you guys. I know I haven't posted much on here, but I read through most of the threads.

Task Condition:
Car off
Keys removed

Tools:
T20 Torx Screwdriver
Flat Tip Screwdriver

Time:
15-30 Min to take it out
10-20 Min to put it back in

First thing you need to do is pull off the panel behind the waterfall console. Its as simple as getting your fingers under a corner and pulling gently and the hidden clips will pop out of their brackets.

After you pull out that panel, disconnect the green wire connection from the back of the waterfall console

Next will be removing you 12V/STC button panel. Either your hands on on edge and gently pull up, or use your flat tip to pry up on one edge and then the other. Once that is up you will have 2 connections under there, a whiter connection for your 12v adapter that slides right off and a green connection for your STC button. Here you will see 2 T20 screws the left one is high and the right one is low. Remove them.

The plastic piece that goes around the stereo screen will come off next. Take your flat tip and gently ease it under the upper left corner and gently pry outward then repeat on the right side. the piece should just lift right out now.

Gently pull the screen forward until you can access the black and white plugs on the back of the screen. Disconnect them. After removing the screen, on both sides there will be T20 screws. Remove them both.

Remove the waterfall console by gently lifting it from where it sits.

Next step is to remove the center console. I pulled off my parking brake boot. You at least have to disconnect one side of the boot to get it off.

There are 4 T20 screws that hold the console in place. The first two are found behind where the first panel you removed is. (See pic 1) The second two are located on the storage compartment of the center console(See pic 2). To access these two screws you need to open the compartment and put your flat tip between the felt and the plastic next to the hinge and pry outward then remove the piece.

The last step is the removal of the entire console. There is one more connector you have to disconnect first. it is a grey connector located next to the shifter under the console.

Its tricky to remove, I reclined both the seats as far as I could to give me maximum space to do it in. You need to slide it forward first then lift it then pull it upward and back.

Put it back together is easy just do the same steps in reverse order. There are 6 connections to reconnect. Make sure you get them all back together.

Any questions or any more pics just ask and i'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Awesome write up Blood! i vote "sticky" this!!!!!

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
At first I thought it was just for the waterfall and I was like "been there..." but the fact that it's for the entire center unit = awesomeness! Thanks for this! Sticky +2

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Awesome write up Blood! i vote "sticky" this!!!!!
Thank you sir!! I need to do this to read the part number of my CD player before I can replace it with a used one.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
BUMP....

PLEASE STICKY THIS this is awesome.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Great write-up... this will come in handy in a few weeks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
nice, i plan on making a custom center console next year

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought the 4 screws holding the center console on where T25? Maybe I have it confused with some other screws. I took apart a lot of stuff when doing the center console when I did it.

For the front 12v socket I find it easiest to take off by simply sticking my thumb into the socket and just pulling it up.

The proper way to take the shift boot off is by removing the plastic around it. And then just a matter off getting the leather over the handle and just taking it off. Trying to take the boot off from that plastic will only break the clips.

Pop it out at the top

Then when its out lift it up.

I would highly suggest getting the plastic trim panel removal tools, I think it was $8 at harbor freight tools.
I took my console off when it was in Park and it was hard. I put it into Drive when putting it back on and found that much easier, I would imagine putting it into Drive when taking it off would help a lot too.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Has this been stickied yet?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Is now. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is somewhat related as its likely going to involve taking apart the center console.

My car no longer goes into Manual mode. I can push the shifter into that position but the car stays in Drive. Any thoughts?

Also anyone know where I can get a replacement for the plastic guard that is attached to the shifter knob post? I just don't want random junk falling in there... coins, etc.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Is there a way to just remove the 4 knobs on the console (volume, tuning, fan speed, temperature) in order to "clean" them proper without having to remove the entire waterfall?
do they just "pry" off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read (year ago, forget where) that, in Europe only, Volvo made wood trim available that was actually made out of wood! A light-colored wood grain.

Does any know where you can order this trim, to North America?

·
Registered
11 Posts
great write up

Hello,

This is a really great write, well done! I don't suppose you are going to do one for actually removing the dash itself ? as I am wanting to cutting a hole in the dash above where the central air vents are on the dash to route some cables through, so I would like to get an idea of how to remove the dash and also how much room there is underneath the dash on an '07 S40 facelift

Thanks
Guy

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dug this out as I have to replace the piece that the shifter goes through (whatever it is called) The plastic that goes around the shifter has broke and it now interferes with me moving the shifter into the manual shifting or Geartronic shifting. Has anyone replaced it and can tell me what I need? I am thinking I damaged the switch as when you throw the shifter over, it doesn't recognize that it is in manual shifting mode..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just tried it and found out the FIRST piece, the plate that goes on top of the screen, has 2 plastic pieces that tight it together to the center console.

Lifting them didn't work for me as I saw in another video, in fact, I broke the top left corner piece that attaches the plate to the console.

Here is a pic of the piece once removed so you can get an idea of what it looks like and perhaps you can avoid breaking it as I did:

The part # is:

Another Tip:

Put a little bit of scotch tape in the aluminium before using the bitter knife to pop it out, to prevent the knife from scratching it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts