SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Today my wife's xc90 stalled on me upon startup and only after shifting to drive. It started up normally and has been running fine. A month ago the car did have trouble starting and displayed the engine start prevented message a few times but has since not done again. I did some reading on both these issues but have not found anything to lead me in a clear direction.
I did read about the key sensor ring in the ignition that could be bad. Possibly corroded wiring on the starter. MAF sensor in another thread was possible cause. Another thread same symptoms said fuel pressure sensor. Another said clean throttle body and PCV.
Now earlier today before the stall the engine did stumble some but cleared up. Also after the stall tonight it started right back up again no issues.
So I know the PCV probably needs replacement soon. Car has 114k. Rubber glove over dipstick and oil cover sucks glove in .
Car uses 1 quart oil in 7500 miles. Spark plugs replaced Volvo brand recent. All coils replaced. That was a different symptom btw when the coils started going bad .
There is no check engine light coming on. Fuel filter replaced in last 10000 miles. Have not done a fuel pressure test.
There are no messages in the driver information center.
Is it reasonable to think this is related to the recent ignition problem with the start prevented message?
Im open to hearing ideas or others that have had this problem and found a fix. Thanks for reading!
Andy

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
if it doesn't throw a code check the crank position sensors.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tom. Forgot about that possibility. Ill look into that. Also read a thread on the connection going bad.
Also read that a bad battery could cause these issues. Mine is original

·
Registered
570 Posts
engine start prevented is usually the ignition key....did you have any transponder fault codes....??the car usually starts and dies when faulty or no crank at all...the stuble could be more complicated...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming you need a dice unit or the dealer to see the transponder fault codes? Then no haven't had that diagnosed yet. If I bought a dice unit to go with my vida software would I be able to see the code?
Before when the start prevented message came up the car did crank but would not turn over.
So if it's related to the key transponder or key ring it might be smart to get a dice unit or bring it somewhere to read a code if it's still stored to prevent just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Be sure to inspect ignition coils.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I have an '05 2.5T and wrote up something like this a few years back, got no responses form the forum. I'm WAY specific on maintaining my vehicle so everything is good (knock on wood) but still, after driving and parking for 15-30 minutes, I'll get back and sometimes I'll start it and it'll stumble. Couple of times a few years or so back, it stumbled and died. Had a to crank it a few times and eventually it started again and didn't do it for maybe another 3 months. Not temperature dependent (not a vapor lock), no Volvo specific codes thrown, at least any code that stuck out. Every once on awhile these days, I'll get in and fire it up, little stumble then it gets going. Or if it dies, I pause and start it back up. Infrequent and again, specific to driving and parking and getting back in after 15-30 minutes. At 150k+, to date I've done 3 fuel filters, PCV/timing belt completed in advance of need, throttle body cleaned twice now, on my 3rd MAF (original, 1 dealer warranty in 2007, another myself in 2012), 3 sets of plugs, new intake hoses, whole bunch of things.

I'm to a point where I just chalk it up to the age of the car and move on. At the same time, it's nice to hear someone else experiencing the same sorta scenario I've seen before so keep the suggestions coming !

**Still, to the OP's issues, best to get the car on a DICE unit and VIDA to see what's what (for sure, it'll show something, at a minimum a full code history unless this was erased). In reading more closely, my observations may be more benign than his.**

·
Registered
570 Posts
get a dice unit and read fault codes when problem is active...possible rpm sensor going bad...??need codes to fault trace problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for the info! Same kind of scenario as ours. Can you tell me why you replaced the MAF three times? I saw your milage. Just curious if you had a code for it or something else. Just curious because I have not replaced mine at all and don't see a reason to yet. First thing i'm going to check is the control wire that goes to the starter that has a spade connector on it. Many say it can be loose or corroded and cause this problem. then look into buying a vice unit. already have VIDA.

I have an '05 2.5T and wrote up something like this a few years back, got no responses form the forum. I'm WAY specific on maintaining my vehicle so everything is good (knock on wood) but still, after driving and parking for 15-30 minutes, I'll get back and sometimes I'll start it and it'll stumble. Couple of times a few years or so back, it stumbled and died. Had a to crank it a few times and eventually it started again and didn't do it for maybe another 3 months. Not temperature dependent (not a vapor lock), no Volvo specific codes thrown, at least any code that stuck out. Every once on awhile these days, I'll get in and fire it up, little stumble then it gets going. Or if it dies, I pause and start it back up. Infrequent and again, specific to driving and parking and getting back in after 15-30 minutes. At 150k+, to date I've done 3 fuel filters, PCV/timing belt completed in advance of need, throttle body cleaned twice now, on my 3rd MAF (original, 1 dealer warranty in 2007, another myself in 2012), 3 sets of plugs, new intake hoses, whole bunch of things.

I'm to a point where I just chalk it up to the age of the car and move on. At the same time, it's nice to hear someone else experiencing the same sorta scenario I've seen before so keep the suggestions coming !

**Still, to the OP's issues, best to get the car on a DICE unit and VIDA to see what's what (for sure, it'll show something, at a minimum a full code history unless this was erased). In reading more closely, my observations may be more benign than his.**

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny you mention RPM sensor. I did quite a bit of reading on VIDA tonight and they mentioned one of the things to check with this condition my car has is the RPM cable to close to a power cable and having interference.

get a dice unit and read fault codes when problem is active...possible rpm sensor going bad...??need codes to fault trace problem.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
So the story on the MAFs was that one needed to be replaced immmediately after my 45k service (dealer did something "accidental" to it, worked just fine before the service) and once at about 100k (threw a code, tried to clean it, worked for a week then threw the same code).

As far as the suggestions about VIDA and DICE, this is probably the best single investment ($100-150, PC not included) you can make if you intend to keep the vehicle for a reasonably long time. It's invaluable, at least to me, for validating a number of functions as well as drilling down to the vendor specific issues as might arise over time. Noted you already have VIDA, look around on the forums and determine all the details as far as the DICE unit (I have the grey box one, no complaints) just to do it right the first time.

Good luck !

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info!

So the story on the MAFs was that one needed to be replaced immmediately after my 45k service (dealer did something "accidental" to it, worked just fine before the service) and once at about 100k (threw a code, tried to clean it, worked for a week then threw the same code).

As far as the suggestions about VIDA and DICE, this is probably the best single investment ($100-150, PC not included) you can make if you intend to keep the vehicle for a reasonably long time. It's invaluable, at least to me, for validating a number of functions as well as drilling down to the vendor specific issues as might arise over time. Noted you already have VIDA, look around on the forums and determine all the details as far as the DICE unit (I have the grey box one, no complaints) just to do it right the first time.

Good luck !

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well tonight the car did the same start prevented message again. Crank and crank but no start. Wife said she pulled key out flipped around and it worked. I went out and played with it and noticed same issue. My key fob is broke meaning the switch blade is broke so the key flops down. I noticed that when put in the ignition that way it would not even crank no click nothing. When I straightendd the key out it would crank but not start. Took the key out flipped 180 degrees and starts. Did the same scenario a few times same results.
Bad key transponder or key ring sensor? My guess is the key is bad. How do they go bad? To many drops on the ground??
Anyway I had cleaned up and tightened the spade wire connection on the starter last week to rule that common issue out. But looks like that wasn't it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts