SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up an '03 XC90 T6 and love it so far, but its due for a transmission flush, and I figured I'd be able to tackle that myself...but I've found myself confounded by one bolt.
I was able to pretty easily remove all the bolts from the oil pan except one on the drivers side rear, which is being blocked by the subframe.
I've tried every tool I have to get in there and loosen that one bolt, with no luck so far...has anyone had this issue before? Any way I can't think of to easily get that one bolt out?
The only next thing I can think (or find online) to do is drop the sub-frame, which seems pretty excessive for one lousy bolt. Is that the way it was designed, or am I missing something here? Does a transmission flush really require an engine hoist?
I'll throw the pictures I have into the thread once my membership gets approved so y'all can get a better idea what I'm looking at...
Thanks for the help,
Ian

·
Registered
128 Posts
Was able to remove bolt on my 2004 T6 pan. Pretty sure used open end wrench, do not remember it being major problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, jetskifast.
None of the box wrenches I had on hand last night were able to get into that small a space. The engine was replaced a few hundred miles ago and I think when they put the new engine in, it ended up being shifted a half centimeter or so towards the drivers side so that the subframe that ordinarily wouldn't be in the way was now blocking one of the bolts on that side...
I was able to borrow a box wrench that was small enough to fit in that space, and it took some doing but I got the pan off, cleaned, and replaced with a new filter and gasket...now I just need to flush the torque converter and dump some new fluid in and I'll be good.
Thanks for the help again

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the response, jetskifast.
None of the box wrenches I had on hand last night were able to get into that small a space. The engine was replaced a few hundred miles ago and I think when they put the new engine in, it ended up being shifted a half centimeter or so towards the drivers side so that the subframe that ordinarily wouldn't be in the way was now blocking one of the bolts on that side...
I was able to borrow a box wrench that was small enough to fit in that space, and it took some doing but I got the pan off, cleaned, and replaced with a new filter and gasket...now I just need to flush the torque converter and dump some new fluid in and I'll be good.
Thanks for the help again
Flushing simple job using transmission cooling line. If you need information do search here on my posts. Wrote post on flushing transmission on this site. Also Redline D4 transmission fluid has worked out real well on our XC90. Have over 155,000 miles on our XC90 T6, transmission still going like new. :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts