SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up an '03 T6 a couple weeks ago and I've been meaning to post an intro with pictures and all, but I wanted to wait until I had all the little issues that it came with sorted out. Today would have been the day I was able to get everything ironed out (door lock actuator replaced, door latch cables (now on three doors) reattached and reinforced, and a couple other minor glitches), but today I had another major curve ball thrown at me instead...

A shifting issue showed up when I had it in drive, and tried to put it in reverse, but it only went to neutral. After that, the shifter itself would go through the full physical range without issue, but it would only illuminate Drive/Neutral, and occasionally Reverse, seemingly arbitrarily. Transmission Service Required came up in the message box, and the warning light came on. The transmission itself runs fine, and when it's in drive it runs just fine, I just can't shift into park, and can put it in reverse maybe 1/10 times.
I hooked up the OBD and it threw 0705, Transmission Range Sensor A Circuit (PRNDL Input). So if the Transmission Range Switch is the same as the Neutral Safety Switch, I'm willing to pull the trigger and order one, but right now I have a couple reservations. I don't want to start throwing parts at it and discover it was a busted shifter or shift cable all along or something...

1. Has anyone here had this happen before?
2. What should I be looking for to confirm or rule out that it's the Trans Range Sensor/PNP?
3. Is the switch inside the transmission itself? I haven't been able to find a quick answer on this, and I'm trying to figure out if replacing the switch myself is feasible, or if the whole transmission has to be dropped and opened to get at it.
Thanks for the help,
Ian

·
Registered
120 Posts
The PNP is on top of the transmission and is a half moon shaped device. It is located under the end of the shifter cable and the selector shaft passes directly through the hole in the PNP. It may take a couple of hours to swap out depending on the connector configuration.

PNPs can wear and you can clean the contacts and file them back to a flat profile on a course sandpaper.

This is a repair I would consult a Vida manual for diassembly.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Resolved
Thanks for the help, Precopster...
I, however, am an idiot, and should have tried to physically investigate the problem immediately after I got the code to see if there was something obviously out of the ordinary, like, for instance, a shift cable that had broken free of the harness or whatever sits directly on top of the transmission. So, problem solved. Now I'm reinforcing the door handle cables and will get some pics for an introduction in the next couple days.
Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts