SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I have been having some issues with my 02 s60 that seem like they could be related, but I thought I'd get a second opinion from the experts :). First, every 3-4 starts, it has trouble turning over. It will take 3-5 seconds before it starts, and when it does, it runs fairly rough for a second or two. Next, there seems to be a loss of power. I've had this car for a while, and got used to the general pep that the turbo brought I the table, but recently, it just seems sluggish, like it just doesn't want to seem to get up to speed. Finally, there is a pretty decent gas smell that the car produces. You can smell it outside of the car after driving it, but also inside of it while driving as well. These problems could all be unrelated, and my car just be in a world of hurt, but I thought I'd give it a whirl and see what you guys had to say. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is a recall on some of 02 s60's relating to gas pump. Just check it, in case.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my first thought, so I e mailed Volvo with my vin to see if it fell under the recall. Of course it didn't, and the fuel pump also just happened to be under an extended warranty until this past match that I had no idea about. How convenient :mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 145k. I haven't looked at those yet but that's where I was headed next. What would be the best way to go about checking those out?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
You can do the old dipstick test, start the car and pull out the dipstick, there should be vacuum. If there is pressure or even worse smoke coming from the dipstick than your breather system is clogged.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright well I just did that, and good news is, no smoke or pressure. But, there wasn't any vacuum at all either. So would this indicate a mildly clogged PVC?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Maybe, seems like your symptoms are mild anyways, worth a shot to at least check the flow between the hoses, make sure the PTC isn't clogged. Look up Volvo PCV on google, lots of good info.

Always a good idea to see if there are any stored or pending codes in the ECU if nothing else.

·
Registered
114 Posts
focoty, please keep us updated on PCV, and the how you realize if it good or not so good.
The idea of not less than 8 hours of labor and removing the intake manifold to clean it
has kept me very edgy for a while. ( I have the same car as yours)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it looks line I have myself a weekend project! Hopefully cleaning some of the gunk out of these things will help these problems a little!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Focoty try to remove the back seat and locate the fuel pump cover, if the smell comes from there you need a new fuel pump

1 - 14 of 14 Posts