SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Going through my car, changing everything I can think of.
IPD swaybars
Front/rear sway bar links
Balljoints
Lower A arms
IPD coils
Top engine mount + cross member supports
Redo all the wire harness loom
Injectors cleaned
4 Sub frame bushings
turbo rebuilt and upgraded to 18t
ARD retune
IPD CBV
xemodex ETM upgrade (245k miles on original ETM, no idle issues.. since I pulled manifold i said why not..)
PCV cleaning

While doing this, it occurred to me, Should I do all 3 lower engine mounts?
From what I've seen, the passenger side lower mount, isn't sunken like most people show for a bad mount, and the front/rear lower mount, no idea if they are bad.. But just because of age/miles tells me I should do them anyways..

Does anyone else have input on this?

Tom

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Especially because you'll already have the subframe out to do subframe bushings, it's pretty much free labor to swap the engine mounts at that point.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Especially because you'll already have the subframe out to do subframe bushings, it's pretty much free labor to swap the engine mounts at that point.
Thanks for the input!

Well the subframe isn't coming all the way out.. I was just going to do front then rear.. I'm wondering if that transverse engine hoist may be a good investment at this point.

Or is it easier just to pull the entire subframe out even though I just put new a-arms in?

What kind of mileage should engine mounts be done? I've got an 01 S60 with 190k miles..

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
It's easier to get to all the motor mounts and the subframe bushings if you have the subframe all the way out. The engine support bar is a very, very useful tool and worth every penny. $60 at harbor freight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Agreed with Lloyd on both counts. Pulling the subframe isn't /that/ bad. Getting everything lined up again can be a little fussy, but while you're in there DEFINITELY do all the motor mounts. Front, rear, and passenger side. It makes all the difference. =)

My motor mounts, front and rear, were 'dry' (no fluid in them) after 100k, probably sooner.

My side motor mount was very saggy, probably .5 or more inches lower than it should have been.

EDIT: I just noticed the IPD sways on there... DEFINITELY pull the subframe, do yourself the favor.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed with Lloyd on both counts. Pulling the subframe isn't /that/ bad. Getting everything lined up again can be a little fussy, but while you're in there DEFINITELY do all the motor mounts. Front, rear, and passenger side. It makes all the difference. =)

My motor mounts, front and rear, were 'dry' (no fluid in them) after 100k, probably sooner.

My side motor mount was very saggy, probably .5 or more inches lower than it should have been.

EDIT: I just noticed the IPD sways on there... DEFINITELY pull the subframe, do yourself the favor.
I am EXTREMELY surprised what new subframe busings and 3 lower and 1 upper engine mount does.. The car feels new again.. This should be a must for for cars @ 200k. The transverse engine hoist came in very handy..

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You missed 1
Total of 5 mounts incl those 2 hydraulic mounts on the subframe

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 5th mount being the transmission mount? I replaced that too..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Upper engine torque mount, lower transmission torque mount, front subframe damper mount, rear subframe damper mount, passenger side subframe mount. Plus, after all of those, there are also the bushings at the end of the engine support bar. I have those replaced with solid metal slugs rather than the bushings. (colloquially known as a engine brace to strut brace conversion.)

That's the whole shebang!

I'm glad the car is feeling a bunch better for you! It smoothed everything out perfectly on my car, too. Nothing like the feeling of a new car, again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts