SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my V70 base model, has lost power, it is slow to rev up when you hit the throttle, is a slug on the road, not misfiring, lucky to get to 40MPH! Idles rough, I've changed the fuel filter, I have over 40 psi at the fuel pressure test point and a heap of flow if i press in the valve. My vida is 5000k's away and will bring it back up next time I'm here. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Try cleaning throttle body, and check out the MAF sensor - blow some MAF cleaner in there if you can - check air filter too. Also check PCV system for clogs, usually is needing some maintenance if throttle body is gunked up.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You mean you drive an old Volvo and don't carry DiCE/VIDA with you at all times? :-o

;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm back at the troublesome Volvo again, after 5 weeks back on my home side of the country after the wife nearly died and I'm serious, she was so close to death, I've been sleeping in a hospital room on a mattress on the floor.

I connected Vida, cleared codes, no check engine light any more, and still no damned power, it idles, revs up a bit, 3500rpm max no load. it doesn't seem to have a fuel pressure reading in vida, but manifold pressures 334.25 and varies to 600 when revved, etc, air flow 13.55 g/s etc all changing as I rev the engine, the fuel pump is on, tank pressure changes, it says around 15 Hpa, short fuel term trim 1.02 any ideas?

·
Registered
16,816 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope it works out soon!

Onto the car - is the cat clogged?
So I'm back at the troublesome Volvo again, after 5 weeks back on my home side of the country after the wife nearly died and I'm serious, she was so close to death, I've been sleeping in a hospital room on a mattress on the floor.

I connected Vida, cleared codes, no check engine light any more, and still no damned power, it idles, revs up a bit, 3500rpm max no load. it doesn't seem to have a fuel pressure reading in vida, but manifold pressures 334.25 and varies to 600 when revved, etc, air flow 13.55 g/s etc all changing as I rev the engine, the fuel pump is on, tank pressure changes, it says around 15 Hpa, short fuel term trim 1.02 any ideas?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So cat is ok, still no issue found, fuel pressure is good, etc, well it's decided, it's heading to the scrap heap, I only paid $500 for it and have spent a fair whack around $1000 on it so far, registration is due at the end of the month which is $240 for 3 months, it needs a $450 windscreen, I can't justify the expense on a $500 car anymore. So I will find a replacement vehicle for work and be left with my 09 XC70 D5 at home.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you check the coils?
Vida says no misfires, the check engine light came on again, throttle body codes, turns out the butterfly is not responding, the demand is there in vida, but the response at the throttle body is not. It's another $200 second hand. Scrapping it is still looking like the sensible option.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear things were that bad! Sending some positive vibes your way.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Vida says no misfires, the check engine light came on again, throttle body codes, turns out the butterfly is not responding, the demand is there in vida, but the response at the throttle body is not. It's another $200 second hand. Scrapping it is still looking like the sensible option.
So what? I just had an issue with my car hesitating and bucking for about a week and it didn't throw any codes. Honestly, if you haven't already looked I would pop that cover off and check the wiring in there and inspect the coils. I bet you a dollar you've got some bare wires from the insulation deteriorating with age. At the least.

The TB sounds like another issue to me. But, as far as running rough and loss of power it seems like the ignition system is a point of interest on these older cars. It's up to you if you want to try and fix it or scrap it though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts