SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and was unable to satisfy my ponderings.

i have owned my 2.5t for a little over a year. got it around low 80s and the timing belt has already been done. i took it to a local guy to do a trans flush based on the advice gotten here. shortly after the ABS sensor went. took it to kundert volvo and along with the sensor they say i need to do my ball joints and possibly my tie rods. i havent felt anything wrong in the steering other than the alignment being a little off the last couple hundred miles.

could it be as serious as they make it sound? the body is good, car is clean. im around 100k now, could this be the beginning of the money pit?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
ABS sensor should have cost you less than $100 if you came here first.
Common for control arms and tie rods at these miles and unfortunately you need to take care of it but STOP taking it to a Volvo dealer and find a cheaper indy shop.
You are not driving an American car or a Jap car, Euro cars cost money to maintain them

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
It's almost always cheaper to maintain a car than to make payments on a new one.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I searched and was unable to satisfy my ponderings.

i have owned my 2.5t for a little over a year. got it around low 80s and the timing belt has already been done. i took it to a local guy to do a trans flush based on the advice gotten here. shortly after the ABS sensor went. took it to kundert volvo and along with the sensor they say i need to do my ball joints and possibly my tie rods. i havent felt anything wrong in the steering other than the alignment being a little off the last couple hundred miles.

could it be as serious as they make it sound? the body is good, car is clean. im around 100k now, could this be the beginning of the money pit?
you need to search on different online part shop that can make your volvo repairs a lot cheaper than dealer, try tasca, fcpeuro, etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
agreed. fcpgroton is a big help. ebay too.

and, X2 on the fact it is usually always cheaper to maintain rather than a new car payment!

Dealerships are good for certain things, but definately find a good indy shop for larger ticket repairs. However, that said, do you diligence on hourly or job costs; just because it may be an independent shop, doesnt necessarily mean they will be cheaper than the dealer. Call, ask for quotes etc. That said though, you do get what you pay for. For example, one of my indy shops I go to, are a lil pricey... but there is always at least 2 million in inventory on the sales floor, and you can literally eat off the shop floor, and all their guys are certified and manufacturer qualified!

For your specific job of ball joints etc, any decent euro shop will do.

FYI, if I call my dealer with price quotes from other places, generally my dealer will match, and sometimes offer 10% less. Never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rereading my original post it was a bit of a babble! i blame the high quote from kundert and the good beer from capt lawrence. :beer::beer::beer:

anyway, thanks all! yeh i guess i just needed a few people to shake me and say NOT A DEALER!!!! after starting this thread i continued to research and have now built up enough confidence that i can change the abs sensor myself. :thumbup:pretty sure it was JRL in another thread posted a link to midwest-abs so i plan to give that a go.
the weathers nice. i dont commute with the car. i SHOULD tackle this abs thing while i find an indy for the ball joints. time to show my V some love back. it deserves it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
rereading my original post it was a bit of a babble! i blame the high quote from kundert and the good beer from capt lawrence. :beer::beer::beer:

anyway, thanks all! yeh i guess i just needed a few people to shake me and say NOT A DEALER!!!! after starting this thread i continued to research and have now built up enough confidence that i can change the abs sensor myself. :thumbup:pretty sure it was JRL in another thread posted a link to midwest-abs so i plan to give that a go.
the weathers nice. i dont commute with the car. i SHOULD tackle this abs thing while i find an indy for the ball joints. time to show my V some love back. it deserves it.

Glad you changed your mind. Not like its an 01 Kia. If you keep the love going, and the trans is a little fighter, you should be able to get 20 years/300,000 miles before the car starts to feel long-in-the-tooth. Next time you are out and about, keep an eye out for how many 850s you see in great condition!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts