SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 247k on the original clutch, I decided it was time for a replacement. The friction point was near the top of the pedal travel, making starting on hills rather difficult.

I had the replacement done by Ithaca Foreign Car, and (as always) was extremely impressed by their work. They replaced the clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, throwout bearing, and rear main seal and completed the work within one day.

The fiction point is now solidly in the middle of the pedal travel, and the car is substantially easier to drive. If anyone else is at high miles on their original clutch, don't wait until it starts slipping. Bit the bullet and get it done; It's 100% worth it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
what did this little R&R cost you in parts and labor?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did mine myself a while ago, and converted to a single piece flywheel and 850R clutch. Totally worth the change. If you want to do it yourself, the job won't cost much (900ish for new everything for me, if you're just doing a clutch and resurfacing the flywheel, then it should be about 500, parts only.) Labor is about eight to ten hours total, depending on how comfortable you are with doing car work and how familiar you are with the process. My dealer slated something like 2000 for the job. While you're in there, though, you'll probably want to swap your slave cylinder (it's inside the tranny, and they tend to fail) as due-diligence. I'd assume about 2200 for that stuff at the dealer, but YMMV. =)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i was wondering what an indie charges for this little exercise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just asked one of my friends who runs a local shop; He said around 2500ish for the whole thing. But this is in Cali.

i was wondering what an indie charges for this little exercise.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
This sounds pretty reasonable, considering that the clutch kit is more expensive than in case of P80 cars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I paid $1100. ($700 parts, $400 labor). For anyone who doesn't know Ithaca Foreign Car, they're probably one of the finest independent mechanics in the country. They've got a beautiful 5-bay facility and they service nothing but Volvo's. And they're so dang affordable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is for clutch+resurface of flywheel, I assume? That's really good, regardless! =) It'd be worth it just to not have to fuss with dropping the subframe and reinstalling it, frankly.

I paid $1100. ($700 parts, $400 labor). For anyone who doesn't know Ithaca Foreign Car, they're probably one of the finest independent mechanics in the country. They've got a beautiful 5-bay facility and they service nothing but Volvo's. And they're so dang affordable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC the dual-mass flywheel cannot be resurfaced. They said that the original flywheel was not in need of replacement, especially considering the high mileage on the car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
$400 in labor would make it about $40/hr at 10 hr by book. You've got a nice little place hidden there in Ithaca. For this kind of money I would just have to skip the DIY part. They charge more in my neck of the woods for labor ($80/hr at my favorite indie).

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
IIRC the dual-mass flywheel cannot be resurfaced. They said that the original flywheel was not in need of replacement, especially considering the high mileage on the car.
It can be, but it's tricky and most people just say it can't be done because they can't do it. There's a guy on here just last month posted a pic of a resurfaced dual mass, can't remember where. My local carquest said they can do it for $60 vs the normal $20, but I switched to single mass instead so I didn't put it to the test.

I'm tempted to try and take apart my extra dual mass just to see if that'd make it easier.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It can be, but it's tricky and most people just say it can't be done because they can't do it. There's a guy on here just last month posted a pic of a resurfaced dual mass, can't remember where. My local carquest said they can do it for $60 vs the normal $20, but I switched to single mass instead so I didn't put it to the test.

I'm tempted to try and take apart my extra dual mass just to see if that'd make it easier.
Not sure what exactly, if anything, was done with with flywheel. A substantial percentage of the cars that IFC services are standard transmission, so I have faith they know what they're doing. In any case, the car drives beautifully, which is the goal all-along.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts