SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new to volvo. I just picked up a 2001 s60 from a used car lot! I am highly impressed with it. It has 175k miles on it. There are a few things i have concerns about that if i could have help with, would be much appreciated. I will take it to a mechanic for them to do an inspection on it later this week, but i want to know what i should tell him to focus on.

1) When I switch to reverse and turn in a direction, there is a pop sound that comes from the front end somewhere. When i go over speed bumps, the suspension seems oddly loud as well. What could this be? How important is getting it fixed?

2)My headlight knob on the left side does not work. it has worked once, but that was it. when i press the fog lamp button, the light does not come on on the button and the switch to change headlight mode does not alter anything. center console music screen also does not illuminate.

3) The ABS brake system is on. when i depress the brakes, the exclamation point light illuminates. the car stops fine. the wheels do not lock up (no matter how hard i can try). What may this be? scan tool says there is nothing wrong.

Thank you guys for any help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
1) I don't think the pop sound is an issue. I have the same sound on mine and it hasn't caused any problems. As for the suspension, it seems every Volvo owner has issues with suspension. You might have to replace the front struts and/or sway bar end links. Does it sound like a heavy clunking sound?

2) Typically you have to have the switch in the top vertical position, then press the fog light button. Do the actual fog lights come on at all or is it just the interior indicator light that isn't working? Start with checking the fuses.

3) Might be a wheel sensor. If so, ignore.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Does it sound like a heavy clunking sound?

2) Typically you have to have the switch in the top vertical position, then press the fog light button. Do the actual fog lights come on at all or is it just the interior indicator light that isn't working? Start with checking the fuses.

3) Might be a wheel sensor. If so, ignore.
1) Yeah. It seems like a heavy clunk. Don't hear it really ever when driving. Only happens when reversing and turning.

2) I'll start with the fuses, but even the switch doesn't turn on the other lights. There's the automatic running lights. But I can't change it from that.

3) Okay. And is it possible for my brakes to ever just stop working entirely from this issue? Or is it just the ABS that may not work?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
The most common causes for clunks in the front of these cars is the endlinks and the spring seats. Lower control arms are also a common wear item and source of clunks in the front.

Headlight switch problems are not common. Electrical diagnosis will need to be done to find the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The most common causes for clunks in the front of these cars is the endlinks and the spring seats. Lower control arms are also a common wear item and source of clunks in the front.

Headlight switch problems are not common. Electrical diagnosis will need to be done to find the problem.
Okay. I'll make sure they check those.

And alright. I'll check the fuses first. But I'll let them know that as well. The middle console doesn't illuminate either which is the only annoying part. Seem like a fuse issue?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, just check the fuses yourself. I think the car has four different fuse panels. The manual will give you an idea of which ones to check. Make sure you pull the fuses out and visually inspect them. Don't rely on a fuse tester. I made that mistake once.

3) Highly doubtful. I wouldn't worry about the brakes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright. I'm gonna try not to worry about the brakes. I have other things to focus on.

Also: just figured out how to change the reading on the dash. It says ABS and STC service required. Does including the STC problem change the severity of the issue? Or still probably a sensor? Or the control module? The modules are ~$1,800 so if I could find a cheaper way or something that would be great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alright. I'm gonna try not to worry about the brakes. I have other things to focus on.

Also: just figured out how to change the reading on the dash. It says ABS and STC service required. Does including the STC problem change the severity of the issue? Or still probably a sensor? Or the control module? The modules are ~$1,800 so if I could find a cheaper way or something that would be great.
Sounds like a sensor to me. STC and ABS both regulate your tires whenever they detect slippage/skidding, so I'd bet they use the same sensor, though I honestly don't know, so don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a sensor to me. STC and ABS both regulate your tires whenever they detect slippage/skidding, so I'd bet they use the same sensor, though I honestly don't know, so don't quote me on that.
Alright. Seems to make sense that those two are together. Would it be a sensor? Or the actual control module do you think?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd put my money on the sensor, dude. Those things can go out so easily at any time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd put my money on the sensor, dude. Those things can go out so easily at any time.
Okay. Thanks dude! I visually inspected the actual control unit in the engine bay. And it looks brand new. No leaks. Looks okay.

How would I be able to find out if it was a sensor? Get a shop to look at it? Also, how much would one of those run me?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts