SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here it is, when i get bored at work mods start happening to my cars.

Today's modification list was....Do you hate that just one light comes on when you pop on the rear fogs? Been pulled over because "one of you lights are out, sir"?

Well this mod is for you.. In the right tail light, you will already have a dual filament bulb but no power going to the second filament. We actually have POWER going to the socket for the foglamp, just no connection to the bulb with in the lamp.

In the next picture you will see both of my bottom tail lamps out of my 05 V70R. On the left is the right lower tail lamp, there is a screw driver pointing to the difference between the two lamps.

Now it is simple to made this mod. All i did was get my trusty soldering iron and dropped a piece of solder between the two posts and i was done. Viola. dual rear foglights.

Can this work on S60's? I dont know but if you had two of them and applied the same principle. You should be able to find the differences and do this same mod to those tail lamps.

Thank you come again...also changed everything to LED bulbs while i was in there. No DIM messages either. :cool: Or fast blinking turn signals :p

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
I love my rear one fog light! It's unique and sexy. Makes all my friends freak out and tell my tail light is out. But nice write up :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i dont have a S60, thats why i didnt know for sure if this would work on a S60. i have a V70 and there are always bulbs inside the V70 lower tail lamp housings. In my C70 i know for sure you have to punch out a blank. I put strobe lights in that spot instead.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
I think it is illegal to have both rear fogs on in the US and even though you think is a mod I think you are putting yourself in danger by making others thinking you're brakig

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think it is illegal to have both rear fogs on in the US and even though you think is a mod I think you are putting yourself in danger by making others thinking you're brakig
It's not necessarily illegal to have two a lot of cars had two rear fog lights when they first came out but your right the reason most, if not all, manufacturers switched to a single rear fog is because the brighter lights can drown out the brake lights and make people assume its just their tail lights, or easily be mistaken for someone's brake lights.

While having one my be aesthetically unpleasant and even annoying to look at when you're driving behind someone but the point of it is to make your car more visible in terrible weather, so the annoying look helps to make it stand out.

·
6,436 Posts
:) i try to never take things at face value....it is real real hard to express the tone of a comment over the interwebs. Sometimes a joke can turn real bad.
btw dude what are you doing with regular bulbs in your tail lights - I thought you'd go full LED by now!! :). Come on make us all proud and just do it..you know you want to :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
btw dude what are you doing with regular bulbs in your tail lights - I thought you'd go full LED by now!! :). Come on make us all proud and just do it..you know you want to :)
i did it already..yesteday

wasnt planning to but accidentally pushed a trim ring inside the tail light when replacing a regular bulb.

so had to remove every thing to try and get it out. since it didnt come out. i cut the ring in half and it came out. replaced it with a few white 24 led 1156 towers, a few white 1157 24 led towers. rewired the dual rear fogs to be ON all the time because the 1156 position lights were actually brighter than the 1157 that were in the rear fog slots.

since there is no need for rear fogs....

i just did some diodes and rewired the reverse lights to come on when the hatch is opened for security and to be switch on by the rear fog switch.

this mod works very very well for people that like to tailgate you. they think you are going to run into them when you stop and they left there honking at you trying to warn you.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
i did it already..yesteday

wasnt planning to but accidentally pushed a trim ring inside the tail light when replacing a regular bulb.

so had to remove every thing to try and get it out. since it didnt come out. i cut the ring in half and it came out. replaced it with a few white 24 led 1156 towers, a few white 1157 24 led towers. rewired the dual rear fogs to be ON all the time because the 1156 position lights were actually brighter than the 1157 that were in the rear fog slots.

since there is no need for rear fogs....

i just did some diodes and rewired the reverse lights to come on when the hatch is opened for security and to be switch on by the rear fog switch.

this mod works very very well for people that like to tailgate you. they think you are going to run into them when you stop and they left there honking at you trying to warn you.
My '02 S6 Avant had dual rear foglights (and HID projectors back when that was a big deal) but they looked a little odd lit up (they were inboard closer to the license plates) and I hardly ever used them. Now Audi has the coolest new headlights again - LEDs - but I'm not holding my breath for a retrofit kit for our Rs.

I put 5W LED projectors in for my reversing lights and am quite happy. The only odd bit is there is enough RF interference when in reverse to jam weak FM stations!

My question is what LEDs did you use for your tail lights - special CANBUS error correction?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts