SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Just wondering if any one has any input to get better 0-60 times I have a 1996 850 turbo with ipd ecu,upgraded turbo wheel,big bore throttle body,relocated horns, K&N drop filter, and mass air flow screen removed. My best time with a gtech pro was 6.2, but I hear from others that have less mods are getting better times, what gives. Any help would be much appreciated. <P>Mike <P>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
I'd get decent catback on, ECU alone won't get u far, maybe put the air flow screen back on, or just get a different ECU.<P>Or simply don't rely on GTech Pro, and try not to race anyone 0~60 mph(not sure how you can race people like that), but race 1/4 mile runs instead?<P>Most of those who are getting better times than you probably have some sort of free flow exhaust system...or just launch their cars differently than you.<P>Or maybe different tires? Smoother, flatter road? Track? Wastegate adjustment? <P>

·
Registered
422 Posts
There we go, Kai gave you the best advice. Man, I'm 0 to 60 in about 5.6 - 5.8. I have a PES Chip, Torque converter, relocated horns, adjusted wastegate, k&n drop filter, weapon r intake with k&n cone filter, no cats, big a$$ muffler, a mesh grill (world of a difference), and a heavy foot.<P>Man, do you have a dyno near you? Hop on that, see what you're getting. The exhaust will do alot of good for you, but I think the wastegate will make a HUGE difference.<P>Just visit <A HREF="http://www.volvospeed.com" TARGET=_blank>www.volvospeed.com </A> and they have some good instructions under the modifications section. The wastegate adjustment is under there, I turned it 3 times, and it made a HUGE difference for my car... but you have to really get on it, or else you won't notice anything.<P>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've adjusted the waste gate as far as it can go without overboost at 50 when you floor it. It sputters if I adjust it 0-60 runs like crazy but it cuts out at 50 when you punch it there is no happy medium<P><BR>Mike

·
Registered
422 Posts
Alright, that's cool man, it sounds like you know what you're doing. That's a common conclusion, that there's no happy medium, I'd rather be a little under, and SAFE, as opposed to over boosted, and risking it.<P>

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why in the world do people remove that MAF screen? Did you not know that the MAF is calibrated as a unit, the screen has to do with the pattern of air flow over the sensor not to stop rocks!<BR> Kai is correct when he says you need exhaust to go further get that flow you need and you will be happy. And practice the launch.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1FASTBOX:<BR><B>Why in the world do people remove that MAF screen? Did you not know that the MAF is calibrated as a unit, the screen has to do with the pattern of air flow over the sensor not to stop rocks!<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yup, well said. I kinda gave up on telling people on that one, too.<P>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1FASTBOX:<BR><B>Why in the world do people remove that MAF screen? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>They think it slows the air flow. By removing it the MAF doesn't work as well and they end up not getting more power. (probably less)<BR><P>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts