SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, after getting the Torque app, I tried using its built in feature that gets "accurate" 0-60 times. So, the first run was 8.3 seconds. I just laughed. The second one with a decent launch was 7.2 seconds.

So, still thinking it was just too much time, I decided to do it the old fashioned method, with a stop watch.

TL;DR 0-60 times are ****ty (which is supposed to be 5.5 seconds) and are 6.5-7.5 seconds consistently. P0101 and P0027 which haven't come back, exhaust leak after turbo, and boost gauge was reading at least 14 psi consistently.

Between the maybe 15 or so times I did 0-60, I couldn't get it lower than 6.5 seconds.... So WTF? Also, I noticed that advanced mode was consistently slower than comfort. As I tried in only comfort and advanced. Now, earlier today I had pulled a P0101 and a P0027, which one is MAF related and the other is Exhaust cam solenoid?? Anyone know why that code would be triggered?

I cleared the code and it hasn't returned... I figured that it isn't the issue. Keep in mind mine is an 05' MT with now just 70,000 miles. Should I attempt to clean the MAF? Thing is, the car doesn't really feel slower than it ever did, besides just the heat increase.. Even with these temps, I was seeing about 100F intake temps during these runs. Also, I want to make a note that it was raining during the attempts. I do have an exhaust leak where the DP and the stock cat-back meet, otherwise I don't know of other leaks. I have just recently removed the boost gauge, but up until i took it off a few days ago it was reading just over 14 psi consistently.

What could it be that's causing the performance issue? It was consistently in the 7 second range, and rarely below 7. I even saw some 8 second times. - Pissed off, I took out the 2003 V70 AWD with 130K on it, and I got an 8.6 second time right away which only made me more pissed off.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
So, after getting the Torque app, I tried using its built in feature that gets "accurate" 0-60 times. So, the first run was 8.3 seconds. I just laughed. The second one with a decent launch was 7.2 seconds.

So, still thinking it was just too much time, I decided to do it the old fashioned method, with a stop watch.

TL;DR 0-60 times are ****ty (which is supposed to be 5.5 seconds) and are 6.5-7.5 seconds consistently. P0101 and P0027 which haven't come back, exhaust leak after turbo, and boost gauge was reading at least 14 psi consistently.

Between the maybe 15 or so times I did 0-60, I couldn't get it lower than 6.5 seconds.... So WTF? Also, I noticed that advanced mode was consistently slower than comfort. As I tried in only comfort and advanced. Now, earlier today I had pulled a P0101 and a P0027, which one is MAF related and the other is Exhaust cam solenoid?? Anyone know why that code would be triggered?

I cleared the code and it hasn't returned... I figured that it isn't the issue. Keep in mind mine is an 05' MT with now just 70,000 miles. Should I attempt to clean the MAF? Thing is, the car doesn't really feel slower than it ever did, besides just the heat increase.. Even with these temps, I was seeing about 100F intake temps during these runs. Also, I want to make a note that it was raining during the attempts. I do have an exhaust leak where the DP and the stock cat-back meet, otherwise I don't know of other leaks. I have just recently removed the boost gauge, but up until i took it off a few days ago it was reading just over 14 psi consistently.

What could it be that's causing the performance issue? It was consistently in the 7 second range, and rarely below 7. I even saw some 8 second times. - Pissed off, I took out the 2003 V70 AWD with 130K on it, and I got an 8.6 second time right away which only made me more pissed off.
why did you remove the boost gauge?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well, it is almost 100 degrees out. And yes, it makes that big a difference IF you have stock IC

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
yup car is slow as **** when its over 80 out in my experience you need a FMIC stat lol.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Well, it is almost 100 degrees out. And yes, it makes that big a difference IF you have stock IC
+1. I do not know what time of the day you tested the times, but in the Mid-west the heat and humidity would play a huge role in performance. I have not tested mine, but I can feel the difference my IPD intercooler makes over the stock especially in this heat. In heat like this, my car was so slow it felt like it was not even turbocharged before I upgraded.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Installed a KL-Racing 45mm drop in intercooler. (cheap and steathy)
Unfortunately we dont't have a dealer for the IPD IC in Europe :(

Totaly worth it.
86°F yesterday and my R felt like it had under 70°F with the stock IC.

·
Registered
386 Posts

<vin diesel> Can't help you man....I live my life 1/4 mile at a time. <vin diesel>

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I used the KIWI OBD2 wifi adapter and the REV app to measure the 0-60 time last summer. I averaged about 6 seconds in the heat. When I did the same thing in the fall, the best I got was 5.7. wasn't going to do a clutch dump, but it was like a controlled clutch slip. AWD cars are very hard to get off the line. This is especially true for the R. The heat does significantly affect your cars performance. At least my butt dyno says so. Also, post a video like R.Photo said. When you're talking about 10s of seconds, you really need to be perfect at shifting.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have a geartronic. At 4:30am it's very quick. Any other time during the day it's not very impressive.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Obviously as others said heat will effect this big time. Also how much gas did you have in your car, did you have a passenger, do you still have your spare tire and all the crap with it in the trunk? I know all of those things sound stupid but weight savings play a huge factor when you are dealing with tenths of seconds. Also the factor of human error, as others have mentioned. Thats the one nice thing about GT's is you can get an accurate 0-60 time every time. Wait for some colder weather, save some in car weight, and report back.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
No one has mentioned this yet, but the car is also seven years old with 70k miles on it. It's definitely not going to have the same power as a brand new car.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The R is at a huge disadvantage in the summer heat. Car & Driver performed a comparison test in desert heat back in 2005, and the then-brand-new R only managed a 0-60 time of 6.4 seconds. As already mentioned, after seven years and 70,000 miles, you're going to see some performance loss.

Even in cool weather, 0-60 is not the R's strong suit. Forget about timing runs from a stoplight, and focus on what the car is much better at - pulling through 2nd and 3rd gears.

Here's a link to the old Car & Driver test: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2005-volvo-s60r-awd-page-1

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I did low 5's consistently in my stage III 2.5T, that car was seriously quick and consistent. The R is slower off the line, the turbo lag is noticeable, but I've seen some good low 5's/high 4's online. Not on a stock R but still.

I am still uncomfortable shifting at wide open throttle (R is my first manual, only had it for 5 months) so my times are usually 6.5 or so, but I'm hoping they'll get better with experience.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Also your not taking into account your elevation above sea level, this also plays a roll in how well your car performs.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well, I'm in Chicago... So elevation isn't really an issue. It was about 86F outside, and intake temps were around 100F. I also just found that I've got a leak right at the turbo to downpipe. Shift times are minimal, for sure. The car has been maintained well, seafoamed and I change the oil between every 3-4k miles with synthetic. The FPS is newer, and its got a brand new air filter on it. I'm going to put the catless dp back on, put the intake cover back ok, put new spark plugs in and try again.

I know it was faster in the winter, but this is just sad. I run with spare tire and jack, and I had about 1/4 tank of gas at the time.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Well, I'm in Chicago... So elevation isn't really an issue. It was about 86F outside, and intake temps were around 100F. I also just found that I've got a leak right at the turbo to downpipe. Shift times are minimal, for sure. The car has been maintained well, seafoamed and I change the oil between every 3-4k miles with synthetic. The FPS is newer, and its got a brand new air filter on it. I'm going to put the catless dp back on, put the intake cover back ok, put new spark plugs in and try again.

I know it was faster in the winter, but this is just sad. I run with spare tire and jack, and I had about 1/4 tank of gas at the time.
You can try all you want, but with a turbocharged engine until your intercooler is upgraded your performance will suffer greatly in hot, humid weather.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is this the downpipe you built a while ago?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
86F + 100F IAT + stock dual ic= Slow azz R

1 - 20 of 33 Posts