SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly, I'd take any mini-van over any SUV or crossover.

There is just something honest and utilitarian about s minivan. It's not trying to save an image of offroading or performance driving. It's just the ultimate pragmatic expression of "I have 4 kids and I need to get **** done" and I have a great deal of respect for that.

That's what the Volvo brand used to be about. Pragmatism and utilitarianism above all else.

Former Volvo CEO Pehr G. Gyllenhammar used to swear that over his dead body would Volvo ever become a luxury brand. It was all about families, safety, utilitarianism and pragmatism. Now they are trying to be just another Mercedes/BMW/Audi, and it is a bit sad. The brand has lost its soul.

View attachment 120464

In a way, although they never sold one, the minivan is the most Volvo thing ever. A vehicle that screams "I am no longer a man-child that craves such silly things as sporty handling, head turning looks or ridiculous luxury features. I am a family man. The only thing that matters is the safety of my family, and I am buying a vehicle dedicated to transporting them and getting the groceries, and I am damn proud of that!", just like Volvo used to.

Although it is tragically mostly dead, there is still a little Volvo left in the company. The integrated pop-up booster seats available in the back seats of some models is about as Volvo as it gets. An innovation that makes family life a little easier. Just like when they were the first company to equip their cars with fold down rear seats for transporting more crap in the trunk, back in the day.

Sadly that Volvo and its strong true no-no sense brand identity is going away, and it is being replaced with a bland Audi wannabe. This is what happens when you sell your soul to
Just wanted to say really enjoyed your comment. Maybe that's why I gravitated to Volvo... my v70r has some practicality of our mini-van, but enough boost to put a smile on my face...
Roll on @mattlach

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really screwed up the formatting up on my reply. Apologies.. My comment was:
Just wanted to say really enjoyed your comment. Maybe that's why I gravitated to Volvo... my v70r has some practicality of our mini-van, but enough boost to put a smile on my face...
Roll on @mattlach

·
Registered
2009 XC90 D5 185 R-Design, winter, summer, comms and family packs
110 Posts
Wagons make sense if we can talk our wives into them. But sadly sedans are nearly lost in the market today.
Although BMW and Mercedes seem to have little trouble shifting them.

I mist admit to scrstching my head at the latest trend of labelling pumped up hatchbacks as "SUVs", something they clearly are not. They don't call performance models "IndyCars", or estates/wagons "freight cars", so why SUVs? Still, a gullible public seem happy to be parted from their cash over it.

Reactions: SeabeckS

·
Registered
4 Posts
I blame dealerships for lackluster wagon sales in the US. The wagons on the lot are rarely high-spec. If Volvo wants to compete with the Germans, they need some impressively-spec'd wagons on the lot. I'm not cross-shopping Subarus. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to order a loaded 2022 V60CC (the recent updates to the configurator makes me nervous).

I'm a long-time Audi enthusiast, and I was really excited about the A4 allroad, but they're never on the lot. And a "Prestige" trim is nowhere to be found in the US (searching on Edmunds). On top of that, the lease rates suck for the allroad, especially compared with the Q3/Q5/Q7.

Mercedes offers an excellent wagon, but it's also nowhere to be found, special order only, over-priced, and with terrible lease rates.

I want a wagon with vented seats. I want the top-notch sound system. I want utility. I don't want an appliance. But dealerships are stuck on ordering SUVs.

If they bring them to the lot, people would buy them.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
420 Posts
Acatcnyc, I own a V90 Inscription T6, so I share your wagon enthusiasm. However, I suspect that even if dealers had some traditional (i.e., non-lifted/non-CC) wagons on the lot, my guess is most would still buy an SUV. Often, people mention the raised seat height as a feature they like. For me, I like the low-to-the-ground driving dynamics of my V.

·
Registered
‘20 V60 Cross Country
20 Posts
I blame dealerships for lackluster wagon sales in the US. The wagons on the lot are rarely high-spec. If Volvo wants to compete with the Germans, they need some impressively-spec'd wagons on the lot. I'm not cross-shopping Subarus. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to order a loaded 2022 V60CC (the recent updates to the configurator makes me nervous).

I'm a long-time Audi enthusiast, and I was really excited about the A4 allroad, but they're never on the lot. And a "Prestige" trim is nowhere to be found in the US (searching on Edmunds). On top of that, the lease rates suck for the allroad, especially compared with the Q3/Q5/Q7.

Mercedes offers an excellent wagon, but it's also nowhere to be found, special order only, over-priced, and with terrible lease rates.

I want a wagon with vented seats. I want the top-notch sound system. I want utility. I don't want an appliance. But dealerships are stuck on ordering SUVs.

If they bring them to the lot, people would buy them.
In our recent experience buying the V60CC, one of the sales manager made an off-hand comment about how they needed to sell our car to get more SUVs on the lot. We didn't even have to bother negotiating the list price of the car because they instantly lowered it 20% (it was above average to begin with). They're a small-ish dealership, they can maybe fit 40-50 vehicles on their lot at once. Everything was already packed to the brim and there were no sedans on the lot with the exception of a few V60CCs (No S60/S90/V60/V90). As soon as our car was sent to detailing, they filled the parking spot with an XC90. Almost everyone else there at the same time as us was buying an SUV.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I tend to agree quite closely with your opinion. When I initially developed (2017) an interest in the V90, I cross shopped online a bit, and considered the other Euro wagons. I picked the V90 based on value, features, and overall total cost. Then I visited three Seattle dealerships to view their inventory. There were a few V90CC’s, and zero T6 Inscriptions, one of the sales guys I met commented that the non-CC versions were not part of the regular inventory supported by Volvo. I liked what I saw in the CC models, but had no desire for a lifted car with extended wheel wells. Not my cup of aquavit!

So, ordered via OSD to obtain a Maple brown T6 Inscription. Very happy with this purchase. As I’ve traveled Washington and Oregon over the last 3 years, I’ve seen loads of XC90s and quite a few V90ccs. But only 3 other Inscriptions. After taking second delivery of my car at Seattle Volvo, I discovered that this dealer has special ordered a few V90s for inventory, and those cars usually sold quickly.

In 53 years of driving, I’ve never had so many people ask me about a car I was driving. That includes a ‘56 Chevy with a built 302, 4 speed, and narrowed Pontiac rear end...lol. I had one gent follow me in his late model Mercedes until he could get next to me at a stoplight to ask questions. He was so interested, I pulled over so he could get a better look. After answering his questions, he indicated he was going to start shopping for a V90 Inscription. Many of the folks who’ve “interviewed“ me have remarked how much they love the styling (exterior and interior) and really like the low, muscular and sleek look.

But nonetheless, the SUV (semi upright vehicle) fad continues.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
The V90 is an extremely low volume vehicle - I would imagine it was never expected to sell in larger numbers so it's great that Volvo still makes them available to us here in the States - I'm actually surprised.

Some dealers do stock them but not many - it's a product that has to meet the demographic of where the dealership is located. A quick perusal of autotrader shows a handful of 2019 models still unsold from new if that tells you anything.

Sure, dealers could stock more of them but the few additional sales just would not offset the discounts that would need to be offered to move the cars that didn't meet the purchaser's exact specifications - people buying $65k cars want them the way they want them or will just order. It doesn't do anybody any good when the dealer has to blow out cars for 20% off.

It would be great if dealers had at least one for buyers to test drive but I would imagine demand is so light it just isn't justified to do even that in most markets. And no, additional advertising does not change consumer preferences. It's a fine product that appeals to very few people at the moment.

Reactions: SeabeckS

·
Registered
573 Posts
Acatcnyc, I own a V90 Inscription T6, so I share your wagon enthusiasm. However, I suspect that even if dealers had some traditional (i.e., non-lifted/non-CC) wagons on the lot, my guess is most would still buy an SUV. Often, people mention the raised seat height as a feature they like. For me, I like the low-to-the-ground driving dynamics of my V.
My local dealer had 14 V90 wagons on the lot as one point in the 2019 model year. As of now, he has four left from that model year. For me, as much as I like wagons, the price point needs to be appropriate. Paying close to MSRP would have been a nonstarter for me. Aside from the obsession with SUVs and CUvs (which are no more than tall wagons), the difficulty is that wagons are similarly priced to the XC60 and in some cases, the XC90

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
420 Posts
My local dealer had 14 V90 wagons on the lot as one point in the 2019 model year. As of now, he has four left from that model year.
Interesting. Of the 14 on the lot, how many were Inscriptions versus CCs or Rs? My guess is most were CCs, with a smattering of Rs.

My focus is on the "traditional" wagon, having a sedan-like comfort and driving characters, combined with additional storage space. IMO, the CC is not a "traditional" wagon, due to its SUV height and body cladding, while the R's front seats and large/low profile tires substitute comfort for performance.

I live in Central NJ and took ownership of my factory ordered 2020 V90 Inscription T6 AWD in June of 2020. Since then, driving primarily in NJ, eastern PA, CT and northeast MA, I have yet to see even one other Inscription on the road. In my nearby (four) central NJ dealerships, I haven't noticed any new or used Inscriptions for sale there, either, when I do occasionally look. I have noticed a very few, new, Inscription for sale at non-NJ Volvo dealerships (primarily Manhattan Volvo, and in MD). Perhaps it depends on where one lives and timing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Interesting. Of the 14 on the lot, how many were Inscriptions versus CCs or Rs? My guess is most were CCs, with a smattering of Rs.

My focus is on the "traditional" wagon, having a sedan-like comfort and driving characters, combined with additional storage space. IMO, the CC is not a "traditional" wagon, due to its SUV height and body cladding, while the R's front seats and large/low profile tires substitute comfort for performance.

I live in Central NJ and took ownership of my factory ordered 2020 V90 Inscription T6 AWD in June of 2020. Since then, driving primarily in NJ, eastern PA, CT and northeast MA, I have yet to see even one other Inscription on the road. In my nearby (four) central NJ dealerships, I haven't noticed any new or used Inscriptions for sale there, either, when I do occasionally look. I have noticed a very few, new, Inscription for sale at non-NJ Volvo dealerships (primarily Manhattan Volvo, and in MD). Perhaps it depends on where one lives and timing.
Don’t know the Inscription vs R Design breakdown, but none were cross countries.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Don’t know the Inscription vs R Design breakdown, but none were cross countries.
Interesting and very surprising.

I just checked Volvo of Manhattan. It lists 25 new "wagons" for sale. They are all CCs. 23 are V60's and 2 are V90s. None were an Inscription or an R. My guess is this dealership is one of the larger one in the US.

As I mentioned before, I guess it depends on location and timing.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts