SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Stop reminding me that bursting blue wasn't available and I had to get grey :(
Hahaha....sorry.

Sadly, the dropping of interesting colors isn't unique to Volvo. It's a marketing tactic. Usually, if a car is going to get "fun" colors, it gets them for the first one to three years, then they're dropped. It's because 1) most enthusiasts will buy those colors in those first few years, 2) it makes that new model really "pop" on the road and drives attention to the model and the brand, which leads to 3) non-enthusiasts leasing/buying and being put into "safe" colors for resale purposes. Because the later part of a model run is made up more of #3, it makes it less viable to support the exciting colors....so they get dropped.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We own a V90CC and an XC90. My wife drives the XC and I drive the V90. I personally enjoy the V90 over the XC90. Even with the CC version, the V90 handles much better in my opinion than the XC and has a fair amount of cargo space (not on par with the XC, but still substantial). If the V90 wasn’t available I would have bought a wagon from another company or a sedan.

Reactions: ttknf

·
Registered
37 Posts
The problem with the "lose me as a customer" thing is how few of you there are. For Feb 2021 Volvo sold 50,795 cars total globally. Less than 2000 were V90 or V90CC. S90s by their own were up year to date with 2778... My guess is most of those were in Asia. I think back to the old Olds vs Buick... GM stuck with Buick cause they sold well in China but OIds was a US only brand I believe. So we do have to consider the global market and not just what sells well in one market or another. The V60s combined outsold the S60s, which surprises me... and the V60 (non CC) was just 99 under S60 sales. I don't see that reflecting in my market, but I'd guess that's a big chunk of Euro... just being stereotypical here. XC40 sold 15818, XC60 sold 14,463, and XC90 at 6808. This is just one months data... so a slice in time
Do you have the full numbers? I'm curious.

I think that the V60 and V90 could merge halfway.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you have the full numbers? I'm curious.

I think that the V60 and V90 could merge halfway.
If they must, they could drop the V90, extend the V60 and make the back flat, to maximize space, while retaining the beautiful overall look. The perfect wagon.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
421 Posts
The problem with the "lose me as a customer" thing is how few of you there are. For Feb 2021 Volvo sold 50,795 cars total globally. Less than 2000 were V90 or V90CC. S90s by their own were up year to date with 2778... My guess is most of those were in Asia. I think back to the old Olds vs Buick... GM stuck with Buick cause they sold well in China but OIds was a US only brand I believe. So we do have to consider the global market and not just what sells well in one market or another. The V60s combined outsold the S60s, which surprises me... and the V60 (non CC) was just 99 under S60 sales. I don't see that reflecting in my market, but I'd guess that's a big chunk of Euro... just being stereotypical here. XC40 sold 15818, XC60 sold 14,463, and XC90 at 6808. This is just one months data... so a slice in time
At the end-of-the-day, people vote with their money, and buy what they want. Companies, that wish to stay in business, sell what customers want. As a V90 owner, I both understand and lament this reality. I doubt we'll see a time where no true wagons (non-lifted and sans body cladding) are manufactured, but it's likely that even fewer companies will remain in this marketplace. For many, IMO, the purchase of a wagon is, to a certain degree, more emotional than rational, and harkens back to another era. Count me in with this group.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would love to know how many people want and SUV or wagon but settle for and SUV because it’s what they built and have in inventory.
I went through that. In the process of optioning a V60 CC, I turned down a few very convenient offers for S60s and XC40s.

If they must, they could drop the V90, extend the V60 and make the back flat, to maximize space, while retaining the beautiful overall look. The perfect wagon.
Not surprisingly, a V70 or V80 would match the size of the Outback, the best-selling disguised wagon.

·
Registered
726 Posts
At the end-of-the-day, people vote with their money, and buy what they want. Companies, that wish to stay in business, sell what customers want. As a V90 owner, I both understand and lament this reality. I doubt we'll see a time where no true wagons (non-lifted and sans body cladding) are manufactured, but it's likely that even fewer companies will remain in this marketplace. For many, IMO, the purchase of a wagon is, to a certain degree, more emotional than rational, and harkens back to another era. Count me in with this group.
Dfrantz touches on a an important market dynamic though. There is a sizable investment in each product for automakers, compared to some other consumer goods. The barrier is high enough the entire auto industry cannot make a product for every niche. So they aren't quite dealing with whether they make what you want or lose a sale. But rather do they make your best available option. It could be quite possible that 90% of V90 buyers would simply buy an XC90 absent the wagon option (I don't know that just making stuff up!). Pretty sure automakers are making these calculations constantly though, making bets with product planning and sometimes it works out, sometimes not.

I happen to think just about all of buying a car is emotional, we can make our rational cases in retrospect but really we need a metal box, sized to carry us and our stuff, that gets us to places we want to go, and everything more than that is emotional...

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
The thing is they are still making wagons but limit to viable market region only. In fact, servicing a wagon is not much different than SUV of the same series. If they are keen on more sales overall, they surely can keep wagon offer on the table. Even if they cut the warranty by 1yr shorter for wagon I think wagon lovers will still buy it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
problem for me was the s60 version was significantly cheaper to lease than the v60 equivalent so i went that route, bigger discount, bigger mfg rebate, lower MF. if i were going to keep it long term i'd have ponied up the difference but i couldn't justify it. i do tend to change cars frequently so i figured i'd pocket the difference for the next one.

i also much preferred the styling of the 2018 v60 to the s60 but for my 2021 i think the s60 looks pretty sharp, tho not as cool as the wagon.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That was my problem, would want wagon, but when the market dynamics drive a price difference of about 10k in my case, just too hard to justify! It's not the wagons fault the sedan had flooded the market and needed discounts. In a tight market where both are close or at MSRP I'm wagon all day long.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2020 V60 Inscription sat on the dealer lot for a full calendar year. They were about to turn it into a service loaner, and I got it for 19% off MSRP. So while I'm sad these aren't selling super well, I'm glad that enough people overlooked the wagon that I was able to get such a deal.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
What are the differences between an Inscription and a Momentum? Wheels, seats?

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
421 Posts
By the time of my 2020 V90 Inscription, which I factory ordered, one could only select the Inscription or the R for USA delivery. I recall the Inscription it only came as a T6 AWD, and the perforated nappa leather seats were standard, along with 19" wheels (either the brushed chrome 10 spoke or a blackened spoked wheel). I think the Momentum was a model one could have chosen in 2019 and prior. My understanding is that the Momentum had FWD, a 4 cylinder turbo (but not supercharger) engine, and the seating and audio system were different. I'm sure there were other differences, but these are what I recall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never even heard of Sixt. I haven't used anyone by the big names, Avis, Hertz, Enterprise and the offer and subsidiaries. You know, the regular suspects at the airport rental desks.
I went to rent a Sixt car when going back to France for vacation as I wanted a luxury wagon for the little extra money.
I dream't of a Mercedes E, their site showed BMW 5-er and we finally fell in love with the V90 D5 they allocated to us.....

Should have taken their insurance when reserving as my MasterCard didn't cover cars above 50kEuro and Sixt insurance is way more expensive when purchased at the desk.......

·
Registered
634 Posts
By the time of my 2020 V90 Inscription, which I factory ordered, one could only select the Inscription or the R for USA delivery. I recall the Inscription it only came as a T6 AWD, and the perforated nappa leather seats were standard, along with 19" wheels (either the brushed chrome 10 spoke or a blackened spoked wheel). I think the Momentum was a model one could have chosen in 2019 and prior. My understanding is that the Momentum had FWD, a 4 cylinder turbo (but not supercharger) engine, and the seating and audio system were different. I'm sure there were other differences, but these are what I recall.
That was about it for the OSD V90s in 2018, when you could only order the T6 or R. Only other thing that comes to mind is some additional bright trim pieces on the exterior, along with interior trim upgrade besides the seats.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
I was wondering about the 60 series cars - the 90's are a little more obvious.

Reactions: SeabeckS

·
Registered
37 Posts
That plus allows for other options. In Canada, you cannot get the B&W audio with a Momentum trim.

But then, the Inscription is styled a bit differently and, for example, you get more chrome which you may not like/want.

There is a bit of everything in the trim puzzle.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
I know I've commented on this before. When Ford ended the small truck Ranger their market research found a great number of their customers would switch to the Fiesta. It sounds crazy at first. That was very much my segment... cheap and no thrills and functional. I did buy a brand new no option manual Fiesta in 2015 and it hauled more chicken feed for me than most F150s ever dream of seeing. Then I sold it to a friend I have in the wholesale industry, and you know who bought it from him? NAPA for a parts hauler. So I wish I could say that it's crazy to presume that the Ranger market could be replaced by a Fiesta... but Ford was correct to some extent. The wagon segment is the same for a large majority as others said... folks will just move to a different segment if the wagon isn't there. And frankly, Volvo has 4 wagons currently (V60 and V90 and a CC version of each).

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I’m one of the few that actually wanted a V90. Had to custom order it

and do OSD but it was worth it an I love it. Wagons are sadly dead in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very nice!

Reactions: TJBNJ
101 - 120 of 134 Posts