SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Wagons make sense if we can talk our wives into them. But sadly sedans are nearly lost in the market today.

·
Registered
844 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The lineup needs to be trimmed. S60/S90 is redundant in today's market. V60/V90 both in XC and regular trim also redundant.

I think we'll see the S60 dropped completely, if not the V60 as well. They'll maintain one sedan, one wagon, and then the C40, XC40 XC60, XC90 and possibly XC100. It makes far more sense that way

·
Registered
70 Posts
The lineup needs to be trimmed. S60/S90 is redundant in today's market. V60/V90 both in XC and regular trim also redundant.

I think we'll see the S60 dropped completely, if not the V60 as well. They'll maintain one sedan, one wagon, and then the C40, XC40 XC60, XC90 and possibly XC100. It makes far more sense that way
I agree that there's redundancy but I can see them keeping the S60/V60 and axing the S90/V90. S90/V90 are special order only which to me indicates that they're already low volume to begin with. The typical buyer looking for a larger vehicle like an S90/V90 would most likely go SUV anyways.

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
I would think they'd drop the S/V90. I haven't looked at the numbers but I would imagine the 60 outsells the 90 by quite a bit already.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
428 Posts
Wagons make sense if we can talk our wives into them. But sadly sedans are nearly lost in the market today.
I bought mine anyway. She'll never want to drive it, which is more than OK by me. LOL.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My wife refuses to drive my 2016 V60 Polestar as it is an automatic. Her next car will probably be a hybrid one, an automatic !!!! I have given up trying to talk sense to her.,

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree that there's redundancy but I can see them keeping the S60/V60 and axing the S90/V90. S90/V90 are special order only which to me indicates that they're already low volume to begin with. The typical buyer looking for a larger vehicle like an S90/V90 would most likely go SUV anyways.
I agree. S90/V90 should go. I really hope S60/V60 stay - it's a nice practical platform for those of us who don't like riding high, but need more space than a coupe. Plenty big and more nimble than 90-series or SUV's.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
428 Posts
IMO, the "typical" V90 buyer won't necessarily go with a large SUV. Most likely, their choice will remain a wagon, and they'll just move on to the Audi A6 or Benz E-Estate, if they are available. I should know. I bought a V90 and, if it wasn't available, would have purchased the E or A6 wagon. However, it's clear that people are SUV crazy and the era of the sedans and wagons are gone, for now. I guess most people like boldly going where others have gone or are going. As Henry Ford said, regarding the Model T, "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black."

·
Registered
88 Posts
My wife had zero objection to my desire for a wagon. Her only rule is no mini-van....which I agree with.

I do hope wagons stick around. Although it will most likely be 7-10 years before I am in the market again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
IMO, the "typical" V90 buyer won't necessarily go with a large SUV. Most likely, their choice will remain a wagon, and they'll just move on to the Audi A6 or Benz E-Estate, if they are available. I should know. I bought a V90 and, if it wasn't available, would have purchased the E or A6 wagon. However, it's clear that people are SUV crazy and the era of the sedans and wagons are gone, for now. I guess most people like boldly going where others have gone or are going. As Henry Ford said, regarding the Model T, "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black."
If you don't mind, can I ask why you want a larger wagon like a V90/A6/E Class?

You might be an anomaly but the typical buyer would say they need more space, higher seating position, comfort, etc in which case an SUV is objectively better in all those categories. Not that I'm rooting for SUV's to dominate the industry but that's sadly why people are so crazy about them.

The typical buyer who would want a mid-sized wagon is really looking for bit more practicality but still retain the agility and efficiency of a sedan. A larger wagon or SUV will not check those boxes.

Again, you might be a unique buyer in the wagon segment because you're an enthusiast but car companies don't make money from us enthusiasts :(

Reactions: bherrit

·
Registered
88 Posts
In my case, my wife was right on board and is very excited that we have our wagon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
88 Posts

You might be an anomaly but the typical buyer would say they need more space, higher seating position, comfort, etc in which case an SUV is objectively better in all those categories. Not that I'm rooting for SUV's to dominate the industry but that's sadly why people are so crazy about them.

The typical buyer who would want a mid-sized wagon is really looking for bit more practicality but still retain the agility and efficiency of a sedan. A larger wagon or SUV will not check those boxes.

Again, you might be a unique buyer in the wagon segment because you're an enthusiast but car companies don't make money from us enthusiasts :(
If a V90 would have fit in my garage I most likely would have bought one. I for sure would appreciate the extra few inches of room while hauling the family around.

For me...I don’t like to be like everyone else, don’t want a high center of gravity SUV, and I like what wagon look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
428 Posts

Don't mind answering. I'm sure I'm an anomaly.

I like the lower stance of a car. IMO, it's more nimble and not subject to crosswinds. I like the size of a larger wagon so that, when I travel out-of-state to visit my grandkids, I can pack the wagon with whatever I want or need, in addition to sometimes storing my wife's wheelchair. The low storage shelf makes it very easy for me to store and retrieve things. Lastly, I remember the old-time wagons and like the opportunity to own and drive something that others don't normally see, let alone, drive. While there may not be many people who own a V90 Inscription, judging by the number of strangers who have approached me to inquire about it since I've owned it, I know people enjoy looking at it, as do I.

As for the higher seating position, my V90's is just fine. I've gone on a number of 5 hours trips and the miles just floated away. The lower seating position isn't a problem. When I sit in my wagon, I feel like it envelopes me, which I like. Driving visibility is absolutely no issue, as there are no blind spots.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't mind answering. I'm sure I'm an anomaly.

I like the lower stance of a car. IMO, it's more nimble and not subject to crosswinds. I like the size of a larger wagon so that, when I travel out-of-state to visit my grandkids, I can pack the wagon with whatever I want or need, in addition to sometimes storing my wife's wheelchair. The low storage shelf makes it very easy for me to store and retrieve things. Lastly, I remember the old-time wagons and like the opportunity to own and drive something that others don't normally see, let alone, drive. While there may not be many people who own a V90 Inscription, judging by the number of strangers who have approached me to inquire about it since I've owned it, I know people enjoy looking at it, as do I.

As for the higher seating position, my V90's is just fine. I've gone on a number of 5 hours trips and the miles just floated away. The lower seating position isn't a problem. When I sit in my wagon, I feel like it envelopes me, which I like. Driving visibility is absolutely no issue, as there are no blind spots.
Agree that the V90 is stunning. The proportions and stance makes it seem almost unreal, like a concept car that went straight to production, in a good way.

Anyways, we'll be lucky if we get any wagon in the US so I'm happy with either one in the next decade.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If they want to lose me as a customer, that is their choice.

I will never buy any SUV or crossover under any circumstance. No, not even a cross-country model.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If they want to lose me as a customer, that is their choice.

I will never buy any SUV or crossover under any circumstance. No, not even a cross-country model.

I disagree that they are objectively better in all of those categories. Higher seating position? Sure, I'll give you that one.

I had an XC90 as a loaner from my dealership.

The trunk space was the same as in my old first gen V70 which is a mid-sized car by modern standards...

I even measured it.

I figured I'd take the opportunity when I had the loaner to bring my snow blower in for maintenance, and it didn't fit any better in the XC90 than it did in my little V70...

PXL_20201021_215441956.jpg

As far as I am concerned SUV's and crossovers are the dumbest things to ever hit the road. Worse handling, worse fuel milage, lack the space advantage people think they have, and are both more dangerous to other drivers and pedestrians and less safe to occupants than cars are.

If I never see another SUV it will be too soon, but unfortunately I will have to put up with those monstrosities the next time I drive anywhere. I wish they were banned.

I don't want anything that even remotely reminds me of an SUV or a crossover. That new C40 concept? Would never buy it. Just like the Chevy Bolt it reminds me too much of some sort of efficiency mini SUV with a stupidly high seating position.

Do not want.

Why does the future always have to be so disappointing?

1 - 20 of 139 Posts