SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

‘99 Classic Red V70R sells for $12k on BAT; Can we talk about this?

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  JRL 
#1 ·
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-volvo-v70r-2/

This car was sold about a year ago, so I know the community has discussed this car. It's a beautiful and rare Classic Red '99 R with low-ish miles (~113k) with good paint (although some paintwork), an immaculate tan interior (and I do mean immaculate), along with some tasteful mods- the centerpiece being the JRZ/ Kaplhenke coilovers. It's a way better-than-average example. But I'm shocked by the money it went for: $12,000 doll hairs. :eek:

As the owner of a clean and unique P80 I love seeing this, but at the same time I'm confused.

So let's talk, what does this mean for P80 values moving forward... and what on earth does this mean for a yellow T5R wagon?? :D

See less See more
#2 ·
I really want to own a t5r wagon some day in cream yellow (just like Jared’s) but by the time one goes for sale it will be $30,000!

That p80r is going for just as muchas p2r’s. They will probably start going up from here on out. They are starting to get older and more valuable as they get rarer and more desirable.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

#3 ·
I really want to own a t5r wagon some day in cream yellow (just like Jared's) but by the time one goes for sale it will be $30,000!

That p80r is going for just as muchas p2r's. They will probably start going up from here on out. They are starting to get older and more valuable as they get rarer and more desirable.

Sent from my Nokia 3310
You and me both... I could have bought Spencer's (from Seattle) old yellow wagon a few years back for $8k, and his was perfect. Didn't and now I'll spend three times that if I want a good one.

As far as other p80's - particularly R models- I know that age and scarcity will bring prices up, but they're not that scarce yet. Here in the PNW they come up fairly regularly under 150k and clean, and they sell for 4-7k at most.

This car has nice, tasteful modifications, but it IS modified, which in my view inherently lowers the value at least a smidge. I guess that's another prong of this discussion; which modifications affect resale and which don't. (That's topic has been beaten to death, I suppose).

#6 ·
So, I'm surprised at how much this P80R sold for but I can see why; boxy wagons are not seen as often as they were 10 years ago. I do agree a more stock form P80R or any sought after vehicle is worth more than a modified car just because it's pure and a desirable amongst collectors.

My guess, 12k or higher for a P80R in the next 5 to 10 years

I think that P80s will go up un general just because they are becoming a more unique look

This is coming from the guy who is selling a P80 lol!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I’m almost positive that seller has posted on here.

#10 ·
#11 · (Edited)
So let's talk, what does this mean for P80 values moving forward
I'm not so convinced that this will really affect where P80 values are going. I hope that they go up, but I find it hard to believe that they will jump with sales like these. They are unique, and somewhat rare, but unless you put 12k into the car to get it perfect you're not going to get anywhere near that in my opinion. They're enthusiast cars for sure, and they could be argued to better that P2R's, but you also can't get them stock in a manual transmission and that realllly hurts the enthusiast resale market. I think I'm just stuck on the whole idea that rare ≠ valuable, with rare, in this case, being a '99 601 red VR.

I'm unfamiliar with BAT, is this a verified sale? From other threads that big price jump seems dubious, and that makes me questions the legitimacy of the sale.

#13 ·
I'm kind of surprised that it broke $10K but the mods are tasteful and the overall condition of the car has to be 99th percentile compared to the average surviving P80R - there can't be more than a handful left that are that nice.

#14 ·
This car is an exception, low mileage with $$$$ modifications.
The majority of these cars, especially non Rs are going to continue to sell at $2k or below.
The demand doesn't exist for them like that of Rs in rare colours such as this classic red example. I'd love to think my Saff R is a $10k car, but that's simply not going to happen on this side of the Atlantic.

#15 ·
Completely agreed. The number of cars in this sort of shape and milage is probably single digits. And lets not forget that coilover package costs $4,700 by itself

#16 ·
I think you guys are making a bigger deal of this sale than it deserves. Cars in this condition being marketed in this price range is perfectly normal in Europe. Most Americans don't take care of their stuff and just go buy a new one once they ruin it which is why we see so many trashed Rs trading at $2k or whatever. For the small handful of cars in this condition in America, there is a small handful of people who aren't normal Americans who want to buy it at what is a normal price for this car in this condition. Either that or the Europeans show up and buy it. More P80s than you'd think are moving home to Europe.

#17 ·
I understand that this is strong money for a p80R, however, as I own three of them currently I understand why! They are amazing cars and the rarer colors have always drawn a premium. There are exceptional vehicles and I’m glad the value appears to be rising. As far as mods vs bone stock, I’ve never been a purist and feel performance mods add value. To me a stock R looks funny with a waterfall grill and stock lights!

#22 ·
SB in: you can build this car for the purchase price with ohlins and refresh everything else. Done it including engine swap and was under budget. SB out.

#23 ·
I don't know how BaT works as I'm done with buying cars, ANY car, so I never went thru with registering to bid, but as I was following this one closely I literally fell off my chair when I saw $12K!!!
It won't bring it a 2nd time and to answer the question, the answer is it shouldn't change anything.
You average, excellent R will not bring this kind of money and neither did this red one!!
Who knows, perhaps this was a test run (ahem) to hype it up :eek: for the next auction....plus it still needed work.:facepalm::facepalm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.