SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Bought a 2013 R-Design in July. Love the car overall, but it is a bit quirky compared to my S70.

One of the things that bugs me most is that the front tires “skip” when turning. Even turning a corner, doesn’t have to be anywhere near wheel lock. Does it worse on gravel (obviously). Had the car aligned in the fall, so assume that’s not the issue. Has 4 good Michelin’s on it too.

Have read that it’s sort of the nature of the beast with the wider tires. We have an ‘06 XC90 with 235 tires (not too much skinnier than the 255s in the 60), and it is smooth as silk. Doesn’t make sense to me..

Can anyone else with an R-Design chime in?

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the rear I’d imagine, but wouldn’t think the front would have one?

Thanks,

Joe
I'm just guessing as I'm definitely not an expert on this vehicle and available options... if not LSD, there could be other electronic slip limiting methods in play (braking, etc.). Just a thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You might see if there are any tech journals before you get to far out there. I vaguely remember a couple of different journals related to returning the haldex system. From what I remember the concerns were similar to what you're stating.

As always, the fix was a software update... If it applied to your vehicle anyway.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'd like to see the alignment report.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to see the alignment report.
This is the last one.

View attachment 50545

Shop aligned 3 times due to getting the wheel off-center each time. Almost wondered if the last time, the tech just marked the tie rods and tweaked them in the parking lot, but not sure how he’d have faked the printout. Wasn’t at all impressed with their service.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a '13 R-Design and it does the same thing when making a full or near full lock turn. Has been doing this since new and the tires are wearing evenly so I chalk it up to a quirk of the R-Design wheels. Have you also noticed the turning circle of this car is really bad?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The alignment report won't open, I ge an invalid attachment message.
I do agree with sickness. My 2004 V70R does a bit of it and so do some other vehicles with wider ties I've owned or driven. The front wheels do not stay parallel when turned off center on purpose, it is called Ackermann effect. The tires do not follow the same radius and the angle change accommodates that. At great turn angles the difference is big and there is a "bind" in the tires. If you sharp turn a vehicle on a clean, near white, concrete surface the black marks will shock you. If you are pushing a vehicle and the front wheels are steered to near full lock it will get VERY hard to push due to the wheel "bind".

·
Registered
75 Posts
A friend of mine had a 2015 XC60 that did something similar - turning at slow speed while pulling out of a convenience store or parking lot the front tires would “skip” slightly like they were slipping on the painted parking lines. It didn't impact tire wear or drive-ability so he left it alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts